Comedian Hasan Minhaj to speak at Phillips Center

<p>Comedian Hasan Minhaj will speak at UF on April 11.</p>

Comedian Hasan Minhaj will speak at UF on April 11.

In 2017, Hasan Minhaj hosted the White House correspondents’ dinner in which President Donald Trump was absent. Minhaj said it wasn’t an honor.

“No one wanted to do this. So, of course, it lands in the hands of an immigrant,” Minhaj said.

Now, he’ll speak at UF.

The Accent Speakers Bureau will host Minhaj at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on April 11 for a moderated conversation, Accent Chairman Gregory Wolf wrote in an email.

Minhaj, an Indian American comedian, is known as the host and creator of the Netflix comedy show “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj,” as well as a correspondent for “The Daily Show.” Minhaj will be paid $78,000, according to his contract with UF.

The event is free to students, who can pick up tickets with a Gator 1 Card from the Student Government suite in the Reitz Union on April 9 and 10 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Wolf said. Students can pick up leftover tickets at the same place between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. April 11.

The event will be presented as a moderated conversation, which is a sit-down interview where a moderator will ask Minhaj questions, Wolf said. The conversation will be followed by a 15-minute Q&A session.

Doors will open at 7 p.m. and the event will start at 8 p.m.

“Mr. Minhaj was chosen to speak because we feel he is a dynamic speaker that brings both comedy and a cultural perspective to our students,” Wolf said.

There will be a meet-and-greet photo opportunity with student leaders, according to the contract.

Accent is funded by SG, whose budget comes from student Activity and Service Fees, which come entirely from students.

Any remaining tickets will be available to the public at the Phillips Center box office at 7 p.m. on the day of the event.

“I hope that students will come with an open mind and that students will get a break from their daily classwork to enjoy a laugh with us,” Wolf said.

Tasnim Thakur, a 19-year-old UF business administration and psychology freshman, is planning to see Minhaj after hearing about his appearance from her group chat with several Asian cultural organizations, she said.

Thakur said she admires Minhaj’s success as a Muslim comedian, which she finds inspiring as a Muslim woman.

“He is so widely accepted and loved, which is not a common thing in America,” she said. “He’s a really good image for the Muslim community. And also, he’s just a hilarious guy.”