<p dir="ltr"><span>Florida pitcher Tommy Mace has given up 13 runs on 22 hits in conference losses this season.</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

Florida pitcher Tommy Mace has given up 13 runs on 22 hits in conference losses this season.

Florida’s baseball team had momentum heading into this weekend’s series with Ole Miss.

The team held a five-game winning streak, seemingly playing its best baseball of the season.

No. 21 UF instead took a step back, dropping all three games to the No. 18 Rebels in Oxford, Mississippi.

The Gators (21-13, 4-8 SEC) were outscored 40-18 over the weekend, getting blasted in the first two contests before blowing a commanding 8-0 lead in Game 3 to lose to Ole Miss (23-10, 8-4 SEC) 12-10.

Shaky starting pitching, an abysmal performance from the bullpen and costly mistakes all played a part in UF falling victim to a second-straight SEC road series sweep.

Florida’s weekend rotation continues to struggle in SEC play

UF’s trio of starters — Tommy Mace, Jack Leftwich and Tyler Dyson — were dominant in non-conference play.

All three starters were undefeated, but in SEC play, they’ve gone 2-7 with a 6.18 ERA.

Mace has shown the most consistency despite the 1-3 record in conference play. The right-hander picked up a critical win against Alabama but dropped three decisions to Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Ole Miss.

The sophomore gave up 13 runs off 22 hits in those three losses.

Leftwich’s situation has been a bit more complicated.

UF’s usual Saturday starter has dealt with a nagging blister on his throwing hand for over a month, which has hampered his performance. His conference record (0-2) and ERA (9.90) are only from a 10-inning sample size, but the right-hander’s numbers may continue to suffer until his hand heals.

For that reason, coach Kevin O’Sullivan chose to start freshman Christian Scott in place of Leftwich against Ole Miss on Saturday.

Dyson has been up and down all season with his control, and 11 walks through four SEC games showcases that.

The junior salvaged a victory against Mississippi State last month, but his other outings have been shortened by inconsistency.

He only went 3.1 innings against Alabama, and this weekend’s start was just 3.2 innings, as he allowed four walks against the Rebels.

His strikeout-to-walk ratio is just 14 to 11 against SEC competition, and if those results continue, O’Sullivan will be relying on his bullpen more and more on the days Dyson takes the mound.

Bullpen issues continue to hurt Gators

UF fell to 0-6 in SEC road games after this weekend’s series, and the bullpen is partially to blame.

The pen has given up 37 runs in the two SEC series away from Gainesville, and six relievers have ERAs at or above nine in conference play.

Redshirt freshman Hunter Ruth has had some great moments at Alfred A. McKethan Stadium, but his appearances away from home have not been ideal.

This weekend’s outing was by far his worst as he gave up 10 runs (eight earned) off 12 hits after 2.1 innings.

Freshman Nolan Crisp also had a tough weekend in Mississippi.

Crisp earned his first loss of the season after surrendering UF’s lead late in Game 3, giving up six runs off six hits.

Not everything was the the bullpen’s fault against Ole Miss, though.

Florida’s defense let it down early and often during Games 2 and 3 of the series on Saturday.

Four errors during the contests allowed the Rebels to score eight unearned runs.

Shortstop Brady McConnell (5), second baseman/outfielder Jacob Young (2) and first baseman Kendrick Calilao (2) lead the team in errors during conference play.

Follow Evan Lepak on Twitter @evanmplepak and contact him at elepak@alligator.org.