<p>Kim Kardashian promoting Flat Tummy Tea on her Instagram.</p>

Kim Kardashian promoting Flat Tummy Tea on her Instagram.

Flat Tummy Tea ads: They pop up almost everywhere on social media. It is possible that you have seen one on your Instagram, or maybe you follow an influencer who endorses the product every chance they get. But is this get-skinny-quick product actually useful? YouTubers have made videos documenting themselves trying the product, and online reviews offer more insight. However, from these reviews, it seems the only thing this product guarantees is that you’ll be running to the bathroom. So why do influential social media users continue to promote such a product, especially one targeted to young girls, a demographic more likely to dislike their own bodies?

The biggest and most recent critic of this product has been Jameela Jamil, the long black-haired, bang-rocking actress from NBC’s “The Good Place.” Jamil’s main target has been the Kardashians, who promote the use of Flat Tummy products as a means to help shape their figures. The promotional posts usually include a photo of the influencer flexing their abs with the products sitting beside them or in their hand. The teas claim to reduce bloating and “detox your system.” While the tea seems like just a harmless scam (drinking tea can’t exactly hurt), the shakes are another story. The Flat Tummy Shake’s website advises to “replace 1-2 meals with your Flat Tummy Shake from Tuesday - Friday” as well as on Monday. Meal replacement is a tricky thing and something that should be discussed with a dietician.

On her own post, referring to one of Khloe Kardashian’s Flat Tummy promotional posts, Jamil wrote, “If you’re too irresponsible to: a) own up to the fact that you have a personal trainer, nutritionist, probable chef, and a surgeon to achieve your aesthetic, rather than this laxative product...And b) tell them the side effects of this NON-FDA approved product, that most doctors are saying aren’t healthy [...] then I guess I have to.” Jamil makes a good point with her criticism.

Young, impressionable girls who follow influencers who advertise these products may not know all the work that goes into getting those flat abs. Drinking tea and shakes is most likely not the way it happened. As Jamil’s comment addresses, chefs, surgeons, trainers and nutritionists all play a part in making influencers like the Kardashians look perfect enough to advertise these products. Not only are these products misleading to young girls, whom are the target buyers, but the products from the company perpetuate harmful eating habits. Flat Tummy appetite suppressant lollipops can be bought to “keep you in check.” And the “Best bit? They’re only 35 calories a pop!” This product is probably the most problematic product on the website, and no one other than Kim Kardashian has promoted it.

Although one might argue that it is their job to take these kinds of product deals, it does not mean they should disregard the responsibility they have to their young fans. If they care about their fans as much as they claim to, then they would not promote a company with products encouraging unhealthy eating habits. And of course an endorsement is not forcing people to buy the diet-oriented products, but it is misleading to young followers. They might not know any better, and they may believe replacing meals with shakes and sucking on appetite-suppressing lollipops will get them the body of the influencers promoting those products. Some might think Jamil is being harsh with her attacks against the Kardashians, but it comes from a position of defending young girls from these promotional products. With so much content telling young girls what to buy, it’s important to be an aggressive voice in the crowd. It could be a way to break the brainwashing content.

Jackie DeFreitas is a UF journalism junior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.