Colleagues and mentees honor former UF Provost

<p><span>David Colburn, died on Sep. 18, 2019. Colburn served as the director </span><span>served as the chair for the Department of History,</span> <span>vice provost and dean of the International Center, and UF’s provost and senior vice president in his nearly 50-year career.</span></p>

David Colburn, died on Sep. 18, 2019. Colburn served as the director served as the chair for the Department of History, vice provost and dean of the International Center, and UF’s provost and senior vice president in his nearly 50-year career.

David Colburn wasn’t a fan of long, drawn-out obituaries.

In fact, for his own obituary, friends said Colburn wouldn’t have wanted someone to talk about him for more than five minutes.

When those close to him think of the intellectual and thoughtful professor and former UF provost, they bring up his passion for the humanities and education. 

On Wednesday, Colburn died at UF Health Shands Hospital at 76 due to complications from an extended illness, a day before he was supposed to receive the highest honor from the Florida Humanities Council. 

That same award may now be renamed in his honor, said Cynthia Barnett, an Environmental Fellow at the Bob Graham Center for Public Service. 

David Colburn 2

Colburn didn’t like to brag, although his list of accomplishments warranted it, said Mark Law, the UF honors program director. 

For about 20 years, Law and Colburn would eat lunch together, leaning against their cars while chatting about anything and everything,

Law said Colburn would have liked his obituary to focus on his students and family. 

“From a legacy point of view, I’m sure that if I could ask him, he’d be pointing at his students,” Law said.

He is remembered by those who knew him as a scholar, a Vietnam War veteran, a mentor and a friend. 

Colleagues knew him as a selfless family man who “always had a smile on his face.” He served as the chair for the Department of History, vice provost and dean of the International Center,  the director of the Graham Center and UF’s provost and senior vice president in his nearly 50-year career.

Colburn was set to receive the Florida Humanities Lifetime Achievement Award Thursday. He would have been the second recipient of the honor. The award honored his lifelong devotion to upholding the humanities and empowering others. 

Steve Seibert, the executive director of the Florida Humanities Council, was a friend of Colburn’s and admired his dedication to the humanities. Seibert praised him in an obituary published by the Graham Center. 

“No one has done more to support the humanities, in deed and in cause,” he wrote. “We will miss his wisdom, friendship, and leadership.”

Colburn loved World War II history, public service and his students. 

To those who knew Colburn, the latter isn’t surprising. As a mentor, he inspired his students to serve their community.

Caroline Nickerson, a 25-year-old UF history and Chinese alumna, was a Graham Center Askew Scholar and Colburn’s mentee. She said he impacted the lives of everyone he interacted with.

“I felt so lucky to know him throughout my undergraduate career,” Nickerson said. “It still hasn’t hit me that I won’t see him there next time I visit.”

The service is scheduled for Sunday at Holy Trinity Church, 100 NE First St., Gainesville 32601 at 2 p.m. The university plans to hold a public tribute later this Fall.