Rain doesn’t hinder Dance Marathon’s Transform Today

<p dir="ltr"><span>The sixth annual Transform Today fundraising push-day at UF aims to raise $650,000 in 26.2 hours, from Tuesday 8 a.m to today at 10:12 a.m</span> </p>

The sixth annual Transform Today fundraising push-day at UF aims to raise $650,000 in 26.2 hours, from Tuesday 8 a.m to today at 10:12 a.m 

Dance Marathon members only have 26.2 hours to reach their goal of raising $650,000.

They didn’t let on-and-off rain Tuesday stop them from dancing, selling brownies, posting on social media and sending Venmo requests during Transform Today, UF Dance Marathon’s largest fundraising day. 

The organization fundraises for children’s medical treatment at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital. The sixth annual Transform Today began at 8 a.m. Tuesday and ends at 10:12 a.m. today. The $650,000 to be raised over the course of 26.2 hours represents the 26.2 hours students dance during Dance Marathon in Spring. 

Last year’s $600,000 Transform Today goal was surpassed by $26,000, according to Alligator archives.

Dance Marathon will announce how much it raised during the event finale from 5 to 8 p.m. today on Flavet Field. 

Alexa Khazzam, an 18-year-old UF exploring engineering studies freshman, said she wants to dance next year with her Delta Phi Epsilon sorority sisters. This year, she’s fundraising through social media. 

“The kids are the future,” she said. “If we can’t help the kids, then who can help us?”

Henry Bu, a 19-year-old UF information systems freshman, bought a Dance Marathon shirt to support the cause. He said he wants to dance, and has raised $100 so far.

“It’s one of the biggest things at UF,” he said. “It’s something that we can get involved with and at the same time help the community.”