<p>Brittany Wise </p>

Brittany Wise 

The new UF director of communications is Brittany Wise, a former College of Journalism and Communications alumna.

Starting Feb. 21, she will be working to advance UF’s strategic plan with regard to communications and enhancing its national reputation, UF spokesman Steve Orlando said.

He said the job plays an integral role in managing the flow of communication inside and out of the university.

Orlando has known Wise since she was a writer at The Alligator and vouched for her ability. 

“I am very happy to have Brittany,” he said. “She has always been easy to work with, reliable and she will make a great addition to the staff.” 

Orlando said while her job does not directly affect students, she may have an indirect effect, which can manifest in wider recognition that might make UF diplomas more valuable. 

The expected salary for the director of communications position is between $90,000 and $103,000, according to the position’s LinkedIn job description.

UF has been without a full-time director of communications since April 2019, when former director Margot Winick resigned. Orlando has been serving as the interim director and said he is delighted to have someone taking up the position full-time again.

Wise received a bachelor’s in journalism from UF in 2007 and then a master’s in international communications in 2010. 

Previously, she reported for the Tampa Bay Times and Miami Herald covering Tallahassee politics. She started a bureau in South Florida for Health News Florida; reported on the European Union for Europolitics, a bilingual business newspaper located in Brussels; and worked at the State University System of Florida Board of Directors as its communications director.

Wise is happy to be back at the University where everything started. 

“My parents both attended UF, so I’ve been a Gator my entire life,” she said, “It will definitely be a homecoming.” 

She said there is a lot about UF that makes it an asset to the state, country and globe, and her job will be focused on telling that story.

Wise and Orlando both stated top-five status as a major goal for UF, and Wise is tasked with helping achieve this goal. 

“Now is an exciting time to be joining UF because of the university’s momentum in pushing toward that top-five status,” Wise said. “I’m thrilled for this opportunity to play a role in helping us get there.”

Contact Christopher S. Cann at ccann@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @chrstophercann. 

Brittany Wise