<p>Junior Maria Fernandez announced via Instagram that she'd tested positive for COVID-19.</p>

Junior Maria Fernandez announced via Instagram that she'd tested positive for COVID-19.

University of Florida distance runner Maria Fernandez announced on Instagram Friday that she had tested positive for COVID-19.

Fernandez, a junior from Doral, Florida, posted a series of photos with a caption hinting that she had indeed tested positive before confirming it on her story. She explained that her symptoms were minor and urged her followers to take the situation seriously.

“Take precautions” she wrote on her story, “it is VERY contagious.”

Fernandez competed most recently in track and field events for the Gators in the spring, competing in the mile at the Gamecock Opener in January and the 3000m at the Camel City Invitational in February, earning 21st and 12th place finishes, respectively. She also competed twice her freshman year.

Fernandez made her Gators debut with cross country as a sophomore last year finishing 12th at a 2-mile dual meet with UNF and recorded an 8th place finish at the Gators’ home event, the Mountain Dew Invitational. She competed in seven races over the course of the 2019 season, including an 87th place finish at the SEC Championships.

Fernandez is also a two-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll (2019-20), including a First-Year Academic Honor Roll her freshman year.

Contact Ryan Haley at rhaley@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @ryan_dhaley.

Ryan Haley

Ryan Haley, a UF journalism senior with a sports & media specialization from Jacksonville, Florida, is Summer 2022's Engagement Managing Editor. He grew up playing a bunch of different sports before settling on golf, following Rory McIlroy and all Philadelphia sports teams. He also loves all things fiction, reading, watching shows and movies and talking about whatever current story or character is in his head.

DM Ryan on Twitter or shoot him an email.