Miguel Leal
Miguel Leal

The Gators men’s golf team added Miguel Leal to its 2021 class Wednesday.

Leal brings a multitude of experience with him to Gainesville. He is currently the No.1 ranked Guatemalan junior player and a member of the Guatemalan National Team. Leal has shown his talent and potential in multiple events just this year. He won the 2020 Billy Horschel Junior Championship and the 2020 Panama Invitational, as well as the Central American Junior Tournament in both 2019 and 2020.

Leal will join a Gators roster that is built on youth. Four of the five golfers who competed in Florida’s last tournament were of  redshirt sophomore status or below. In fact, the team currently has just four golfers who are of a junior standing or higher. 

Florida head coach J.C. Deacon can’t wait for Leal to join the Gators in the fall of 2021, saying Leal has a great respect and love for UF. Deacon also boasted about his talents on the course, saying Leal has one of the most beautiful and athletic golf swings he has ever seen.

He brings impeccable character and a work ethic that fits in perfectly with our culture,” Deacon said.

Contact Michael Hull at mhull@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Michael_Hull33.

Michael Hull

Michael Hull is a fourth-year journalism sports & media major and a sports writer at The Alligator. He hosts the weekly sports podcast and has worked on staff for five semesters. In the past, Hull has served as the sports editor, the men's and women's golf beat writer, the volleyball beat writer and the football beat writer.