SEC dishes out punishments for kerfuffle against Missouri

<p>Coach Dan Mullen was fined $25,000 for <span id="docs-internal-guid-8d43d5de-7fff-1fa3-7c64-f50fa2b40aba"><span>violating the SEC’s bylaws regarding sportsmanship in Florida's game versus Missouri Saturday.</span></span></p>

Coach Dan Mullen was fined $25,000 for violating the SEC’s bylaws regarding sportsmanship in Florida's game versus Missouri Saturday.

Defensive lineman Zachary Carter and linebacker Antwuan Powell will miss the first half of Florida’s upcoming game against Georgia for fighting during Saturday’s 41-17 win over Missouri. Gators coach Dan Mullen was fined $25,000 and given a reprimand for violating the SEC’s bylaws regarding sportsmanship. 

“I respect the decision from the conference office,” Mullen said in a release. “As the head coach, it is my responsibility to defuse these types of situations, and I didn’t live up to that standard.”

The fracas began after Missouri defensive lineman Trajan Jeffcoat landed a late hit on Gators’ quarterback Kyle Trask on the last play of the first half. Mullen ran into the middle of the chaos, and both benches emptied. Carter and Powell were ejected for fighting. 

“I was trying to get our players off the field to make sure we didn’t have issues and have a whole bunch of guys suspended,” Mullen said after the game. “We’re already a paper-thin outfit right now.”

Missouri outside linebacker Tre Williams was ejected for a flagrant unsportsmanlike foul as well. Additionally, the Tigers will be without linebacker Chad Bailey, offensive lineman Dylan Spencer and defensive lineman Markell Utsey for fighting during the first half of their game against Georgia on Nov. 14.  

“There is no place in college football for the kind of incident that took place at halftime of the Missouri at Florida game Saturday night,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a release. “Everyone involved is responsible for meeting sportsmanship standards throughout each game.”

The Dawgs will also be without safety Richard LeCounte and defensive lineman Julian Rochester due to injury this weekend, per Georgia coach Kirby Smart. Wide receiver George Pickens, who did not travel to Kentucky Saturday because of an upper body injury, will be reevaluated this week to see if he’ll be able to suit up against the Gators.

Contact Brendan Farrell at bfarrell@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Bfarrell727.