No update on scheduled game Wednesday, collapsed player in coma, officials say

Keyontae Johnson is still in “critical but stable” condition

Gators forward Keyontae Johnson at Florida's game against LSU Feb. 26. Johnson is in "critical but stable" condition at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital.

Representatives were unable to confirm UF men’s basketball’s Wednesday night matchup versus North Florida following Keyontae Johnson’s collapse on the court against Florida State. 

The junior guard was rushed to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital on Saturday morning and announced to be in “critical but stable” condition, according to a UF press release. Two days after his collapse, USA Today reported on Monday that Johnson had entered a medically-induced coma due to “activity” in the brain

Coach Mike White stayed with Johnson in Tallahassee after the incident, but the player was moved to Gainesville on Monday where doctors hope to bring him out of a coma

Given White’s absence, it’s unclear whether UF’s games this week — against UNF on Wednesday and FAU on Saturday — will go on as scheduled. Representatives from North Florida stated that they haven’t heard anything about a potential change in schedule. 

Denver Parler, communications director for the men’s basketball team, didn’t provide an update on whether White and his program have resumed practices or the status of Wednesday’s game.

The NCAA hasn’t outlined a minimum timeframe for canceling contests, and numerous games this season have been canceled within a day of the scheduled date. 

Johnson’s family, who was flown into Tallahassee by UF from their home in Virginia, also expressed uncertainty over his health. Johnson’s sister wrote on Instagram that her family was “struggling with the unknown” and urged users not to post any content or footage of Johnson’s collapse.

Johnson has received support from the athletic world at UF and around the country. Florida football player Clifford Taylor IV wrote “11 KJ,” a reference to Johnson, on his sleeve Saturday night. The Gators women’s basketball team conducted a moment of silence in his honor before its game against Tarleton State on Monday. 

Coach Bruce Pearl led the Auburn basketball team in prayer for Johnson while other basketball programs, including Kentucky and Duke, expressed their support on social media. 

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Contact Declan Walsh at dwalsh@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter dawalsh_UF.