<p>Terrell Bradley’s father Victor Bradley speaks with local activist Danielle Chanzes as they both await Judge Walter Green’s decision outside of the Alachua County Stephen P. Mickle Criminal courtroom Tuesday, July 19, 2022.</p>

Terrell Bradley’s father Victor Bradley speaks with local activist Danielle Chanzes as they both await Judge Walter Green’s decision outside of the Alachua County Stephen P. Mickle Criminal courtroom Tuesday, July 19, 2022.

The Gainesville man who lost an eye from a K-9 attack was released from the Alachua County jail on bail after he appeared virtually in court Tuesday. 

Terrell Bradley was mauled by a Gainesville Police Department K-9 July 10, when police pulled him over for an alleged traffic violation and he then fled. He lost an eye as a result of the incident, which sparked outrage and protest. Per the conditions of his release, he must cover the costs of the electronic monitoring with GPS, not consume alcohol or illegal drugs and not possess weapons or firearms.

According to a sworn complaint affidavit, Andrew Milman, the officer who initiated the traffic stop, found a gun, ammunition and marijuana in Bradley’s car. Milman asked Bradley to leave the car after he moved his hand toward the car’s front seat. Bradley then struck Milman with his elbow to escape, and the gun was later found there when police searched Bradley’s car, according to the affidavit.

A K-9 officer responded to the incident, according to the affidavit. The K-9 tracked Bradley, who hid in Eden Park bushes, about half a mile from the traffic stop at Sweetwater Square Apartments, according to a July 16 GPD press release. 

Milman’s narration contains only one sentence about the circumstances of the apprehension. 

“After a short struggle the DEF was placed in to custody,” the report read.

Yolanda Means, the attorney who represented Bradley in court, said Green considered the sworn complaint omitted mention of Bradley’s injuries from his apprehension, when making his decision.

Family and supporters of Bradley rejoiced Judge Walter Green’s decision to release him outside the Alachua County Stephan P. Mickle Criminal courtroom.

Bradley’s father, 60-year old former GPD officer Victor Bradley, said his son’s return home would allow him to heal properly both physically and mentally, noting the trauma of his apprehension by GPD.

GPD did not respond to comment.

Bradley was convicted of robbery in 2010, according to court records. He faces charges for weapon and ammo possession as a convicted felon, marijuana possession, violent resistance to arrest, theft of a firearm and carrying an unlicensed firearm.

Contact Omar at oateyah@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @OAteyah.    

Omar Ateyah

Omar Ateyah is a third-year journalism student and the Alligator's Race and Equity reporter. He previously served as the Alligator's crime reporter and as a news assistant on the Metro Desk. He enjoys going on long, thoughtful walks.