Richardson and Cox Jr. receive SEC honors for week one performances

It’s the first career SEC player of the week recognition for both Gators stars

<p>Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson on the sidelines during the Gators’ 42-20 win over South Florida on Sept. 11, 2021. Richardson was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week Monday afternoon.</p>

Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson on the sidelines during the Gators’ 42-20 win over South Florida on Sept. 11, 2021. Richardson was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week Monday afternoon.

Florida football stars Anthony Richardson and Brenton Cox Jr. received weekly Southeastern Conference honors for their stellar play against the Utah Utes Saturday. It is the first weekly SEC honor for both players.

Richardson was named SEC Offensive Player of the Week following a career-high three rushing touchdowns, including the game winner late in the 4th quarter. The Eastside High School alum also set a new career-high with 168 passing yards and produced an additional 106 yards on the ground. 

Florida’s signal caller made his first career start Saturday and showcased his immense talent, earning comparisons to college football royalty Cam Newton and Vince Young. 

Richardson is only the fifth Gators quarterback with three rushing scores since 1996. He joins the company of Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow, former teammate Emory Jones, Jesse Palmer and Jeff Driskel.

His night passing limits his contemporaries. Richardson was the third quarterback in UF history to couple the aforementioned feat with at least 150 passing yards. The two before him being Tebow and Palmer 

Cox was named SEC co-defensive lineman of the week after he set a new career-high with 10 tackles against the Utes. He also registered half a tackle for loss and a quarterback hurry. Cox, a former five-star recruit and Georgia transfer, was named to the preseason All-SEC second team.

He split honors with Arkansas edge rusher Jordan Domineck, who had a sack and forced fumble against the Cincinnati Bearcats. Cox was one of eight SEC players with 10 or more tackles this weekend, a list that includes Gators safety Trey Dean III, who racked up a team-high 12 tackles on Saturday.

Florida opens SEC play Saturday against the No. 20 Kentucky Wildcats at 7 p.m. in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.