Florida women’s golf finishes fall season T13 at Stanford Intercollegiate

The Gators didn’t have an individual finish inside the top 25 and shot over par as a team

<p>Florida Gators women&#x27;s golf on Sunday, February 21, 2021 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville, FL / UAA Communications photo by Alex de la Osa.</p>

Florida Gators women's golf on Sunday, February 21, 2021 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville, FL / UAA Communications photo by Alex de la Osa.

The Florida women’s golf team was in Stanford, California, Friday through Sunday for its final tournament of the 2022 fall season. 

In round one of the tournament California native, Jackie Lucena, led the Gators with a 1-under par 71. After two bogeys earlier on the front, she carded birdies in three of the final five holes to conclude the round. The under-par round marked her third of the fall season.

The duo junior Maisie Filler and senior Annabell Fuller both carded a clean front nine to a score 2-over-par 73s. Fuller holed 12 consecutive pars on the round. Sophomore Taylor Roberts hit the same mark to par, wrapping up her round strongly with two birdies and five pars in her last seven holes. 

In her first fall outing, senior Marina Escobar went birdie on the second and eagle on the third holes to start the first round. She was the fourth Gator to shoot a 2-over-par 73. 

Competing as an individual fifth year senior Jenny Kim shot a 4-over-par 75 in round one. 

UF bounced back after finishing 5-over par on the back and made the turn to end even on the front for a first round team score of 289. Florida was one of the first teams to tee off at Stanford Golf Course and sat 13th through the first 18 holes. Host Stanford was the tournament leader at 8-under par. 

On the second day of the tournament, Lucena continued to lead the lineup with an even par round. The senior was joined by Kim at that mark. 

Escobar was 4-over par on the front, but she responded with a 3-under par performance over the final nine holes. She fired back-to-back birdies on the par-5 16th hole and the par-3 17th to card a clean back nine. 

Rounding out the lineup was Filler, who had a stretch of three straight birdies on holes five through seven, and Roberts. The former shot a 2-over-par 73 and the latter a 4-over-par 75. 

Florida shot its second straight 5-over-par 298 round Saturday. The Gators slid up to 11th after the second round and were just one stroke outside of the top 10. Nine strokes away sat the tournament leaders, Stanford, at 11-under par.

On the final day of the tournament, both Fuller and Roberts posted 1-over-par 72s to place T35 and T49 respectively. Lucena also tied for 49th after a 3-over-par third round.

Filler started her Sunday with back to back birdies, and she finished the tournament tied for 56th. A stroke behind her was Mariana Escobar tied for 62nd. Kim rounded out Florida’s appearances on the individual leaderboard in a tie for 78th.

As UF never found a groove on its way to a T13 finish, Stanford won the tournament at 15-under par.

Now that the Gators’ fall season has concluded, their spring campaign will begin Feb. 12-14, 2023 in Palos Verdes, California, at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge.

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr abritton-harr@alligator.org . Follow her on twitter @abrittonharr.

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.