The Independent Florida Alligator 2022 year in review

As 2022 comes to an end, explore The Alligator's selection of news stories that dominated the year

<p></p>

As the year 2022 comes to an end, here's a roundup of some of our most impactful news stories. We thank our readers and local community for trusting us to tell stories that matter and influence the course of history.

Mistreatment persisted under Sasse for years at Midland, his former faculty say

By Christian Casale

midland sasse

Looking back at Sasse’s presidency, some at Midland felt the bottom line was profit — not faculty well-being. Midland faculty recall periods of buyouts and a shake-up of leadership as Sasse cleared out long-time professors. His later run for office also didn’t come as a surprise to some. Read more.

‘Life or death’: Gainesville residents recount experiences with abortion

By Fernando Figueroa and Heather Bushman

Alexandria Gibson.jpg

Alexandria Gibson, a doula and medspa professional at Little Cottage MedSpa, holds a hand blended herbal remedy for miscarriages, post-abortions and postpartum care Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. “I want to help women harness their pussy power,” she said.

The overturn of Roe v. Wade doesn’t just make sweeping impacts in the political sphere — it has directly influenced the lives of those seeking abortions. With Florida next in line to make further restrictions on abortion access after a Republican supermajority won in the midterm elections, many are left to wonder what the future may bring in terms of reproductive health. Read more.

Fuchs leaves behind legacy marked by controversy, rankings ascension

By Alissa Gary

fuchs_makiya_seminera.jpg

In a sit-down interview with The Alligator, Fuchs shared his thoughts on how extensive he wished COVID-19 regulations at UF could have been, the scariest moment of his presidency and his personal disagreement with officials about perceived indoctrination on campus. Read more.

Historically Black Community, Porters Quarters, forced to reckon with gentrification

By Gregorio Ruiz-Perez

Porters Quarters.jpg

According to a 2018 UF project called Architecture Against Gentrification, Porters Quarters was founded shortly after the Reconstruction era in 1884 thanks to Dr. Watson Porters, a Canadian physician, who sold lots exclusively to African Americans. He hoped that the community would become self-sufficient. Read more.

Demonstration rages near closed-door Gov. Ron DeSantis speaking engagement

By Heather Bushman

Gov. Ron DeSantis Protest.jpg

A protestor demonstrating against Gov. Ron DeSantis wears the transgender pride flag Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022.

Alachua County Republicans kept Gov. Ron DeSantis behind closed doors and away from press Oct. 20, but protesters still made their presence known in the city of Alachua. Read more.

‘I can’t see’: Gainesville Police Department release graphic K-9 mauling body camera footage, officers suspended

By Lucille Lannigan

bradley.jpeg

Terrell Bradley sits at a police advisory council meeting Wednesday, July 27, 2022.

GPD showed never-before-seen body camera footage at a press conference Sept. 8 about their K-9 encounter with 31-year-old Terrell Bradley, who was stopped for an alleged traffic violation July 10 and then fled from the officer after allegedly striking him with his elbow. Read more.

Gainesville activists rally against Don’t Say Gay bill

By Emma Behrmann

Lucas_Ashleigh_Bill.jpg
Becky Fields, a teacher at Talbot Elementary School, and Fields' two children hold a "We Say Gay" sign to protest Florida's Don't Say Gay bill at Heartwood Soundstage on Saturday, March 19. The bill has passed the state legislature and is on the governor's desk.

The Pride Community Center of North Central Florida, the Unspoken Treasure Society and PFLAG Gainesville hosted the We Say GAYnesville Rally March 19 at the Heartwood Soundstage in downtown Gainesville. Over 20 organizations participated in the rally, PCCNCF President Tamára Perry-Lunardo said. Read more.

Gainesville looks to aid Southwest Florida families in Ian’s wake

By Aidan Bush and Alissa Gary

Gallery4.jpg
Rabbi Berl Goldman, director of the Chabad UF Jewish Student and Community Center, runs a Hurricane Ian relief drive for affected communities, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2022. This is the organization’s third full shipment of practical supplies since Thursday, Sept. 29.

While Gainesville students and residents alike felt only indirect effects from the storm, many have families further south who witnessed the full extent of the disaster. Read more.

Gainesville protests overturn of Roe v. Wade

By Anushka Dakshit

protest_front.jpg

About ,1000 protestors march in Gainesville on Saturday, June 25, 2022 after the official announcement of the overturning of Roe v. Wade

About 1,000 protestors demonstrated outside the Stephan P. Mickle, Sr. Criminal Courthouse in downtown Gainesville for about three hours June 25 in response to the overturn of Roe v. Wade. Read more.