Florida senior Annabell Fuller lines up a putt in the VyStar Credit Union Gators Invitational Sunday, March 5, 2023.

The Gators traveled almost six hours to play in a tournament on Friday only for their regular season finale to be cut short. 

The Florida women’s golf team traveled to Athens, Georgia, to compete in the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic. They finished in third place after the final round was suspended due to weather. 

The team was one of the first to complete round one.

The Gators sat in second with three individuals in the top ten after round one. They scored an even 288 as Auburn took the lead at 11-under-par 288. 

Senior Annabell Fuller shot a team-best two-under-par 72 for her team-leading third-straight tenth round under par this season. She went birdie-birdie to tie for fifth.

Junior Maisie Filler and senior Jackie Lucena both were under par. Their performances put them in a tie for eighth. Lucena had one bogey and four birdies in the last five holes.

Florida was set to tee off at 11 a.m. Saturday. However, tee time was postponed for the second round due to weather. It finally teed off at noon Saturday.

Filler scored her second-straight two-under-par 72 for her ninth of the season and second most on the team. The junior wrapped up the second round two strokes back from the lead in a tie for third. 

Florida and Filler tied for third after 36 holes. 

Senior Marina Escobar came back in round two with a one-under-par 72, cutting six shots off Friday’s first round.

Fuller was two shots ahead of Escobar in T18.

Lucena sat in a tie for 42nd, and freshman Karoline Tuttle was in a tie ten spots behind her.

Florida was set to wrap up its final regular season tournament at 10 a.m. Sunday. However, the final round was canceled due to weather. 

The Gators finished in third. The regular season closer came to an end sooner than expected.

Fuller recorded her team-leading seventh top-25 finish ending in a tie for 18th. Escober sat just outside the top 25 in a tie for 31st. Lucena tied for 42nd and Tuttle tied for 52nd. 

The Gators will begin the Southeastern Conference Championship April 12 at Greystone Golf and Country Club in Birmingham, Alabama. Last season Florida finished runner-up after it advanced to the match play finals for the first time in program history.

Contact Madilyn Destefano at mdestefano@alligtor.org. Follow her on Twitter @DestefanoMadi.