Sunday, December 03, 2023

UF, SFC cancel class ahead of Tropical Storm Idalia

UF campus will close at noon Tuesday; SFC will be closed all day Tuesday

Tropical Storm Idalia, which started brewing in the Gulf of Mexico, is showing signs it could intensify into a hurricane. The storm is projected to hit the Florida Big Bend region by early Wednesday, though its exact path could still change. 

UF

UF announced its campus will be closed at noon Tuesday and will remain closed Wednesday due to potential Hurricane Idalia in a UF alert around 4 p.m. Monday.

A reopening date was not yet indicated. 

Santa Fe College

SFC canceled classes for Tuesday and Wednesday at 4 p.m. Monday. Northwest campus, all centers, the Academy for Science and Technology, the SF Teaching Zoo, the Kika Silva Pla Planetarium and the SF Gymnasium will be closed. A reopening date has not yet been decided. 

Students are advised to remain updated about the storm and other college alerts with the SF Alerts page

Bailey Diem

Bailey Diem is a first-year journalism major at UF and is the Santa Fe Reporter for The Alligator for Fall 2023. When not reporting, Bailey can be found playing guitar or getting lost in a book.