Gators in the NFL: Week two roundup

Anthony Richardson makes headlines, battles early injuries

Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson throws the ball during the Gators' 26-16 loss to the Kentucky Wildcats Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022.

Week two of the NFL season is in the rearview and several former Florida Gators have found their bearings this season. A mix of young players finding their way at the highest level and veterans making an impact for big teams represented the Gators this week.

Here’s a rundown of the top former Florida players in the NFL in Week 2:

QB Anthony Richardson, Indianapolis Colts

Richardson made his second career start for the Colts after being selected fourth overall in the 2023 NFL draft. The former Eastside High School standout rushed for a pair of first-quarter touchdowns to give his squad an early lead.

However, Richardson suffered a concussion on the second scoring run and wouldn’t return to the game. He finished the game completing six of 10 passes for 56 yards and an additional 35 yards on the ground to go with the pair of scores.

Indianapolis turned to veteran journeyman Gardner Minshew II in relief and held off the Houston Texans 31-20 for their first win of the season. Sports Illustrated reported that Richardson is “likely out” for the Colts’ upcoming game against the Baltimore Ravens. 

RB Dameon Pierce, Houston Texans

On the losing side of that game, Pierce struggled to get the ground game going for the now 0-2 Texans. The Bainbridge, Georgia, product ran for just 31 yards on 15 attempts — a measly 2.1 yards per carry. 

S Chauncey Garnder-Johnson, Detroit Lions

Gardner-Johnson led his new team in tackles with eight in an overtime loss to the Seattle Seahawks, but it could be his last action of the season.

The former Philadelphia Eagles safety may have suffered a torn pectoral and was placed on Injured Reserve. Reports indicate he could miss the rest of the season.

OG O’Cyrus Torrence, Buffalo Bills

Torrence played every offensive snap for the Bills in a dominant 38-10 win over the Las Vegas Raiders. The former All-American helped Buffalo run for 183 yards and amass 450 yards of total offense.

WR Kadarius Toney, Kansas City Chiefs

Toney rebounded from a nightmare opening night with a decent performance in Kansas City’s 17-9 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The former first-round draft pick caught five passes for 35 yards and ran the ball one time for three yards.

S Marcus Maye, New Orleans Saints

The Saints defense shut down former Heisman trophy winner Bryce Young and the Carolina Panthers, and Maye led the charge from the secondary. The former second-round pick led New Orleans with eight total tackles including a sack in the 20-17 victory Monday night. 

K Eddy Pineiro, Carolina Panthers

Pineiro has quietly become one of the better kickers in the NFL for a dreary Panthers franchise. The former Gator hit three field goals Monday — including a 54-yarder — and he hasn’t missed a kick since last October.

S Keanu Neal, Pittsburgh Steelers

Neal helped the Steelers’ defense dominate the Cleveland Browns in a gritty 26-22 win Monday. The former Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys defensive back made six total tackles and broke up a pass.

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.