Florida fighting to end road woes against South Carolina

Gators still searching for first win away from home this season

The Gators football team prepares to run out of the tunnel before their 22-7 win against the Charlotte 49ers on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023.

Florida’s season has been a tale of two teams. In the comfort of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, the Gators have looked the part of a Southeastern Conference contender, highlighted by a win over then-No. 11 Tennessee.

But when Florida leaves the Swamp’s friendly confines, things fall apart. The Gators’ two losses this season, both by double-digits, came away from home against Utah and Kentucky. UF will get another chance to end this trend when it travels to South Carolina this weekend.

The Gators (4-2, 2-1 SEC) will face the South Carolina Gamecocks (2-3, 1-2 SEC) Saturday at ​​Williams Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina. Florida will hope to break a five-game losing streak away from home. 

“The quality of the football hasn’t been very good in those two occurrences this year,” said UF head coach Billy Napier in a Wednesday press conference. “We have to play better football.”

Two weeks ago, the Gators traveled to face Kentucky in a ranked matchup. Florida was riding high from its upset over the Volunteers, but fell flat in Kroger Field to the tune of a 33-14 defeat. Florida returned home last week with a blowout win over Vanderbilt, but the real test is on the road.

Slow starts sunk the Gators in Lexington, Kentucky,  and Napier noted the importance of starting fast away from home.

“Bottom line is when the ball's spotted and we kick it off, we've got to be ready to mix it up,” Napier said Monday.

Florida’s not just facing the challenge of an SEC road game, it’s also facing a South Carolina team that’s better than its losing record this season.

The Gamecocks have played a brutal schedule to start the season, including matchups against Tennessee, undefeated North Carolina and No. 1 Georgia. While the record isn’t what third-year coach Shane Beamer would want, South Carolina boasts a dangerous, talented roster.

Quarterback Spencer Rattler leads the Gamecocks offense. The redshirt senior signal caller is one of the most experienced players in college football. He’s thrown for 1,411 yards and seven touchdowns this season.

“He's very electric,” said UF redshirt junior defensive back Jaydon Hill. “He can get things going for his guys”

Florida dominated Rattler a year ago when South Carolina traveled to the Swamp. The Gators won 38-6 and held the Gamecocks’ quarterback under 150 passing yards in the victory. Napier emphasized that this year is different, however.

“These are two completely different teams,” Napier said Monday. “Spencer is a really great player. He's one of the best quarterbacks in the entire country.”

South Carolina also features a talented group of skill players, led by receiver Xavier Legette. The fifth-year pass catcher is one of the most explosive players in the country with 606 receiving yards. He has three games with over 100 yards this year.

Florida redshirt junior quarterback Graham Mertz will have an opportunity to open up the passing game against a weak Gamecocks secondary. South Carolina is allowing the fifth-most passing yards per game in the country at 301.4 per game.

Mertz has been efficient this season. His 80% completion percentage is the second highest in the country, but the passing attack hasn’t been particularly explosive.

“We did it last year, you know, and I think ultimately, hopefully going forward, we'll be able to take advantage of some of that,” Napier said Wednesday.

The Gators offense could be more explosive this weekend as dynamic playmakers continue to get healthy. Sophomore running back Trevor Etienne is expected to play after missing the Vanderbilt game, and freshman receiver Eugene Wilson III will start again after he missed time earlier this season.

UF’s offensive line is still battling injuries, however. Redshirt junior center Kingsley Eguakun won’t play after starting in just two games this season. Redshirt sophomore Jake Slaughter will fill in once again. 

Eguakun’s been a valuable mentor for him this season as he fills in as a starter for the first time, Slaughter said.

“As long as I’ve known him he’s been nothing but supportive,” Slaughter said Wednesday. “All the little things you can learn he’s taught me. He’s really been help in preparation.”

The Gators will face the Gamecocks Saturday at 3:30 p.m. The game will also be broadcast on the SEC Network.

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.