Alachua County Public Schools closed Tuesday for severe weather

Schools to reopen Wednesday morning

<p>A sign in front of the Alachua County Public Schools district office building is seen Sunday, June 6, 2021.</p>

A sign in front of the Alachua County Public Schools district office building is seen Sunday, June 6, 2021.

Alachua County Public Schools will be closed Tuesday due to bus safety concerns as a result of the National Weather Service’s wind advisory.

Wind gusts are expected to exceed 40 mph in Gainesville, according to the National Weather Service. School buses cannot run due to safety concerns, said Eytan Oren, an employee for the ACPS public information office. The wind advisory will be in effect from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday.

After-school extracurriculars are canceled as well. Twelve-month employees are expected to work Tuesday. The district expects to return to school Wednesday. 

The district will make up the day Feb. 16, which was included in its Flex Day plans on its academic calendar, according to a statement sent out by Alachua County Public Schools. 

Contact Megan Howard at mhoward@alligator.org. Follow her on X @meganmhxward.

Megan Howard

Megan Howard is a second-year journalism major and the K-12 Education reporter for The Alligator. When she's not writing, you can find her rewatching the Eras Tour movie or reading The Hunger Games series.