Florida diving rings in new year with high-scoring Tennessee Diving Invite

Florida men’s and women’s diving dominated the leaderboard in Knoxville

Florida freshman Joshua Liendo competes in a swimming event.

The Florida men’s and women’s diving team traveled to Knoxville, Tennessee, to compete in the Tennessee Diving Invite from Jan. 3-5 for their first meet of 2024. 

Florida started out strong Wednesday with freshman Camyla Monroy placing first in the women’s 3m finals with a score of 313.80 after placing third in the preliminary round. Junior Carina Lumia placed 11th in the women’s 3m final with a score of 231.35.

Monroy and Lumia were two of five divers on the women’s team who advanced to the finals. 

In the men’s 1-meter, the Gators grabbed all the spots on the podium. 

Freshman Conor Gesing placed fifth with a score of 364.30 after placing third in the preliminary round, and sophomore Peyton Donald placed second with a score of 350.25. 

Senior Skip Donald placed third with a score of 344.20 after placing first in the preliminary round with a score of 359.00. Senior Anton Svirskyi placed 12th with a score of 263.70 after scoring placing fourth in the preliminary round.

Gesing, the Donalds and Svirskyi were four of the five men’s divers to qualify for the final. 

Donald, Gesing and Svirskyi combined for a score of 356.40 in the men’s team event, placing the Gators in second place behind Tennessee’s A Team with 418.95 points. 

Thursday, Monroy claimed gold for the second time, placing first in the women’s platform with a score of 307.70 points.

Sophomore Casey Greenberg placed seventh with 238.65 points, Lumia placed ninth with 229.60 points and senior Caroline Pagac placed 13th with 223.35 points. 

Greenberg, Lumia and Pagac all scored season highs in the women’s platform. 

In the men’s 3m, Gesing placed second with 392.75 points after placing sixth in preliminaries. Skip Donald placed fifth with a score of 375.00, and Peyton Donald placed sixth with a score of 356.05.

Both Donalds scored season highs in the men’s 3m final. The Donalds and Gesing were three out of the five Florida divers to advance to the final. 

Florida placed first in the Women’s Team Event after Lumia, Greenberg and Monroy combined for a score of 329.70 points. LSU and Tennessee followed in second and third place. 

Monroy placed first in the preliminary women’s 1m with a score of 296.50 points, and Lumia placed ninth in the preliminaries with a score of 256.30 points. In the women’s 3m final, Monroy placed fourth with a score of 287.30 points. Lumia placed 10th with a score of 269.65 points.

In the men’s platform final, Svirskyi placed seventh with a score of 320.15, and Skip Donald scored 320.00 points, finishing eighth. Gesing placed 17th with 273.40 points, and Elisha Dees placed 19th with 261.55 points. 

The Gators diving team will next compete against Florida State in Ocala, Florida, on Jan. 26. 

Contact Shaine Davison at sdavison@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @shainedavison.