Freshman talent floods Gators gymnastics’ season opener

The No. 2 preseason team hopes for success with its newcomers as it braces for SEC play

Freshman Anya Pilgrim performs her vault routine in the Gators’ season opener in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center, Friday, Jan. 12, 2024.

Falling shy of the 2023 NCAA Championship, the Florida gymnastics team is resolute in its pursuit of clinching the coveted title this year. The loss of prominent veteran gymnasts All-American Trinity Thomas and Kayla DiCello reshaped the landscape of Florida’s 2024 roster.

In their first meet of the season, the Gators debuted five freshmen in their lineup. The meet recorded the most UF freshmen in competitive lineup since the 2004 NCAA Super Six team final. 

“It was an evening filled with a lot of freshmen routines, which was really exciting,” head coach Jenny Rowland said. “[I am] extremely proud of every team member.” 

Rowland is embracing the wave of new talent. She prioritized creating a culture on the team that extends support during tough times and celebrates wins in shining moments, she said. 

It's the chemistry and excitement she believes will be a driving force behind the team's success.

“The very first meet that you compete as a freshman in the O’Dome can be a little overwhelming,” Rowland added. “Yet, they all handled it with a lot of grace, a lot of poise, a lot of confidence.” 

Freshman Alyssa Arana scored an 8.45 on the uneven parallel bars. Her first two attempts were butchered due to untimely falls, but she renewed her talent and presented a graceful bars routine on the third attempt.   

Gabby Disidore secured a 9.825 on the uneven parallel bars. Notably, her performance equaled that of junior Leanne Wong, and both gymnasts shared the fourth spot in the apparatus rankings.

Skylar Draser competed in three of four exercises holding off bars. She earned a 9.85 on both vault and floor, but her strongest performance was on the balance beam, where she scored a 9.875. Junior Bri Edwards and Draser were in a four-way tie for third in the vault exercise. 

Danie Ferris opened her collegiate career on the vault. Her seamless routine awarded her a 9.825 and a split-seventh ranking with junior Sloane Blakely. 

“We understand and the team understands this is a year of growth and development and learning,” Rowland said. “I have all the confidence in the world that this team’s going to have success.” 

But it was freshman Anya Pilgrim who left as the talk of the program. 

Pilgrim shined in every apparatus with a 9.85 or higher. She earned the all-around award with a collective 39.525 –- the highest ever for a Gator freshman in the first meet of her career. 

“I think overall it went really well,” Pilgrim said. “I made some improvements on every event.” 

She took the top spot in the vault, bars and floor exercises. Her strongest performance of the night was on the floor where she scored a 9.925. 

“Floor, I was really, really proud of because that’s usually my event I need to work a little harder on," Pilgrim said. “So for that to be my standout tonight was really great.” 

The newcomers bring a blend of skills, but it's the veterans who lead the team to fill the gaps the freshmen are still working to build. 

The balance beam was the only apparatus that wasn’t flooded with rookie wins. Senior Ellie Lazzari claimed first place with a near-perfect 9.975. Wong followed close behind with a 9.925 in the second rank. 

“This preseason, I really focused on building a really strong foundation,” Lazzari said of her routine. “I feel really strong mentally [and] physically, and I am super excited.” 

She earned her ninth beam title ever and her first one since 2022. She matched her collegiate career high which she last set as a freshman in 2021. 

While Lazzari's individual performance was an impressive standout, she holds pride in the team’s collective performance, particularly the freshmen’s contributions throughout the night. 

“This team is so special, and for the majority of it to be freshman class, they did such a good job,” she said. “They just look like veterans out there. I just had so much trust in them.” 

The gymnast is hopeful for the future and views the preseason and night’s performance as a testament to the team’s capabilities, she said. Both Lazzari and Rowland feel confident in the freshmen’s talents and strength, especially as SEC play looms on the horizon. 

“I’m really proud of them, and I can’t wait to see what they have in store,” Lazzari said. 

Florida will begin SEC competition on the road Friday at 6 p.m. against the Auburn Tigers. The meet will be broadcast on the SEC Network. 

Contact Krisha Sanghavi at ksanghavi@alligator.org. Follow her on X at @krishasang.

Krisha Sanghavi

Krisha Sanghavi is a third-year public relations and economics major. In her free time, she loves cheering on Miami sports teams and spending time with her friends.