Millhopper Bagel Bakery remains open following series of violations

Revered Gainesville hotspot for bagels, coffee was set to close following failed health inspection

Bagel Bakery on Monday, Jan. 15, 2024.
Bagel Bakery on Monday, Jan. 15, 2024.

Breakfast restaurant Bagel Bakery will stay in business after passing a follow-up health inspection Jan. 10. It was temporarily closed by an emergency order following a health inspection Jan. 5 that reported 25 violations. 

Bagel Bakery owner Ken Rembert confirmed the restaurant’s reopening after the mandatory 24-hour call-back inspection. The restaurant’s management hasn’t released a public statement addressing the violations and the temporary closure as of Jan. 15.

Rembert said it is “not closing” and confirmed this on Bagel Bakery’s Facebook with a post captioned, “Come see us any day, we’re here from 7-2!” 

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation categorizes violations as basic, intermediate and high priority based on how much of a threat is posed to public health and safety. Out of Bagel Bakery’s 25 violations, 13 were basic, five were intermediate and seven were high priority, Rembert said. 

Among the high priority violations were “toxic substance/chemical improperly stored” and “live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, food storage area and/or bar area,” according to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.  

The restaurant at 4113 NW 16th Blvd. is registered with the department under the name, “Bagel Company.” The recent closure was a first for Bagel Bakery, with inspections before Jan. 5 reporting compliance with health standards. 

Bagel Bakery is one of the most frequented breakfast spots in Gainesville with a 4.5/5 rating from more than 400 Google reviews. The restaurant opened its doors in 2000 as part of a franchise, according to its website.

Joshua Robrahan is a 21-year-old UF marketing senior. He said he goes to Bagel Bakery once a week, usually with a group of friends. 

“When I heard Bagel Bakery was closing, I actually got very upset because this is one of my go-to breakfast brunch spots in Gainesville,” Robrahan said. 

He said he found out the restaurant could potentially be closing from a friend. 

“I always thought it was one of the best restaurants around, so the fact that it may close made me really sad,” Robrahan said. “If they stay open, I’ll be relieved and happy.” 

The inspection is not going to affect his love for the restaurant, he said. While the potential health issues concern him, he trusts the restaurant will amend any violations.

“I honestly probably will still go,” he said. “Though hopefully they will be properly addressed so issues like this aren’t run into again.” 

After learning Bagel Bakery passed a follow-up inspection and will stay in business, he said he is eager to return. 

Contact Emilia Cardenes-Perez at ecardenes-perez@alligator.org. Follow her on X 

@emiliaandreaa.