Kendall Jenner brings tequila brand to Gainesville bars

The 28-year-old model made an appearance at three stops Wednesday to promote 818 Tequila

Kendall Jenner poses with fans at The Swamp Restaurant on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024.

UF students stood on chairs and climbed tables to catch a glimpse of Kendall Jenner as she walked in from the side door at The Social at Midtown. The sound of excited screams and the flash of iPhone cameras filled the room as the model hopped behind the bar to make drinks with her tequila. 

Jenner visited Gainesville as part of a promotional tour in college towns for her liquor brand, 818 Tequila. The model and reality TV star stopped at Gator Beverage, The Social at Midtown and The Swamp Restaurant, serving shots and taking pictures with crowds of students.

She visited the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama on Tuesday, making UF the third SEC school on her tour. 

Jenner's first stop was Gator Beverage at 1126 W University Ave. The liquor store was the least crowded location of the night, said customers, and many were able to speak to the celebrity directly. 

Jamie Braverman, a 21-year-old UF master’s student, said she took pictures and briefly talked with Jenner.

“I was excited about her visiting and surprised to see how easy she was to talk to,” she said. 

Braverman said she also went to see Jenner at The Social at Midtown, located at 1728 W. University Ave., later in the evening. There, she watched as the model poured drinks and handed out 818 merchandise. 

Kyla Yuen, a 22-year-old UF finance senior, said she arrived almost two hours early to wait for Jenner at the Social. She said Jenner signed an 818 hat she was given earlier.

Cover for both the Social and the Swamp was $20, and tickets for both locations sold out. 

Jenner launched 818 in May 2021. The name comes from an area code in the Los Angeles metro area. According to the product’s website, the brand is dedicated to “sustainability and transparency.” 

"We feel a great sense of responsibility and pride to have a positive impact on individuals, communities, and the environment,” it wrote.“We've had so many magical nights drinking 818, and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do." 

Jenner’s first promotional college tour was in October, when she visited four campuses in the Midwest: Ohio State University, Indiana University, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and the University of Michigan. 

She has hinted at future dates on the college campus tour on Instagram. 

Contact Emilia Cardenas-Perez at ecardenasperez@alligator.org. Follow her on X @emiliaandreaa.