No. 11 Florida lacrosse defeats Vanderbilt

Three hat tricks from Gators players helped propel the team to its 11th straight win.

Gators lacrosse senior attacker Maggi Hall calls for a play in the team's win over Old Dominion University on Saturday, March 23, 2024.

The Gators lacrosse team (11-2) took down Vanderbilt (6-4) 20-5 Saturday in Nashville. The win extended the team’s win streak to 11 games and improved to 2-0 in conference play. 

Florida got off to an unusually slow start. Even though they scored five goals, they were leading by a mere two goals 5-3. The Gators picked up the pace in the second quarter, scoring nine goals and allowing them to go into halftime up 14-4. 

UF kept its lead over the Commodores throughout the second half. 

Eleven Gators scored in the matchup. 

Senior attacker Danielle Pavinelli scored five goals during the contest, the most goals she has scored in one game this season. 

Senior midfielder Madison Waters and senior attacker Ashley Gonzalez both recorded hat tricks. Waters scored twice in the second quarter and once in the third. Gonzalez scored one goal in the first three quarters.

Even though senior goalkeeper Georgia Hoey let each of Vanderbilt’s four shots in, UF did a strong job of containing Vanderbilt offensively, as that’s all the shots on goal the Commodores could record.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Elyse Finnelle posted a save percentage of .875 after saving seven-of-eight shots on goal. 

Next, the Gators will head to Greenville, North Carolina, to face East Carolina University (3-8) April 6 at noon. The game will be streamed on ESPN+. 

Contact Lacey Rogers at lrogers@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @laceyyrog.

Lacey Rogers

Lacey Rogers is a third-year journalism major and sports reporter for The Alligator. She is a huge Washington Capitals fan and hopes to work for them after she finishes school.