Former UF diversity officer takes DEI position at UMass

Marsha McGriff, former Chief Diversity Officer, to join University of Massachusetts Amherst in July

Former UF Chief Diversity Officer Marsha McGriff will join the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in July under a similar title to the one she was fired for in Florida. 

“I am so grateful and excited — onward and upward!” she wrote in an April 3 LinkedIn post about the switch.

McGriff will serve as UMass’ Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion starting July 1, UMass Chancellor Javier Reyes announced in a university email April 2.

“We value her vision and skills as our community strengthens its commitment to inclusive excellence and equity and integrates it into the fiber of campus life,” Reyes wrote in the announcement.

Her move comes in light of UF’s March diversity, equity and inclusion position layoffs — which included eliminating McGriff’s entire CDO office. Under a 2023 Florida statute, Florida universities are prohibited from spending state or federal funds on DEI initiatives, a mandate approved by the Florida Board of Governors Jan. 24.

Faculty and staff whose positions were eliminated were given priority applications for other positions at UF.

Contact Alissa Gary at agary@alligator.org. Follow her on X @alissagary1.

Alissa Gary

Alissa is a sophomore journalism major and University Editor at The Alligator. She has previously covered student government, university administration and K-12 education. In her free time, she enjoys showing photos of her cats to strangers.