Gators lacrosse beat Temple, crowned AAC regular season champions

Florida defeated the Owls 18-7 to earn its 15th straight win

Florida lacrosse huddles up before playing a game against Old Dominion University on Saturday, March 23, 2024.

No. 10 Florida lacrosse (15-2) closed out its regular season with a dominant 18-7 win over the Temple Owls (9-6) Saturday afternoon on the Gators’ senior day.

UF ended the season with 15 consecutive wins, and the win crowned the team as AAC regular season champions. It will advance to the AAC Conference Tournament as the No. 1 seed. 

After a silent first six minutes of the game, the Gators took a quick lead over the Owls. Florida outscored Temple 9-2 in the second quarter and went into halftime up 11-3. 

Three Gators recorded hat tricks. 

Senior attacker Danielle Pavinelli scored five goals, one in the first quarter, three in the second quarter and one in the fourth quarter. Her impressive offensive performance tied her season-high of five goals on March 30 against Vanderbilt. 

Senior attacker Maggi Hall recorded seven points. She tallied three assists and four goals, scoring all four goals in the second quarter. 

Graduate student midfielder Sarah Falk scored four goals. She scored once in every quarter and recorded the first goal of the game. 

UF senior attacker Liz Harrison, the team’s draw control specialist, gained a new record of 400 career draw controls. She recorded nine draw controls against the Owls. 

Florida senior attacker Ashley Gonzalez moved up to No. 4 all-time in Florida lacrosse history in career assists. She had four assists Saturday, making her career total at 90 assists. 

Gators redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Elyse Finnelle posted a save percentage of .533 after facing 15 shots on goal. 

The Gators had a total of 35 shots, only two of which were not on goal. 

The AAC Tournament is set to begin Thursday. Florida will face the No. 4 seed at 5:30 p.m. They will play the winner of the Cincinnati versus Vanderbilt game taking place right now. The game can be streamed on ESPN+. 

Contact Lacey Rogers at lrogers@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @laceyyrog.

Lacey Rogers

Lacey Rogers is a third-year journalism major and sports reporter for The Alligator. She is a huge Washington Capitals fan and hopes to work for them after she finishes school.