Candidate Guide: Jason Lee Haeseler

Jason Lee Haeseler (D)

Haeseler

The issues:  

Why are you running for this office?  

I’m running for my daughters and their future. I see what Republicans have done to our public education system, our water, and our government in Tallahassee and I knew that I couldn’t sit on the sidelines anymore. We have to start fixing some of these problems and I see little being done in Tallahassee to tackle the hard issues facing our state. I want to run to make a difference so that my daughters can thrive here.

In your view, what are the top three issues facing the district? How are you qualified to address these issues?

I think that water, education, and healthcare are the three most important things facing our district. I feel that my experience as an engineer helps me understand our infrastructure needs, which are an essential component to our water and environmental issues around the state. With only one other engineer in the Florida legislature, we need some diversity in skills and I believe that I can bring those to the state house.

How would you assess the performance of Governor?

I would rate Rick Scott as a solid F. In his 8 years as Governor, he has managed to accelerate the ruination of our environment – see South Florida algal blooms; decimate public education; de-regulate pediatric heart surgery; and widen the income inequality gap, among a long, long list of other horrible outcomes. All while enriching himself to the tune of nearly $100 million.

How would you assess the performance of the Florida House of Representatives, how it works and the ability of individuals to make a difference? 

I believe the job of the Florida House of Representatives is to represent the people. However, our state legislature is much more interested in representing the special interests like Big Sugar instead of actually addressing the needs of our state. They have done little to address the healthcare crisis in our state, are doing little to address the growing threat of climate change, and instead are more concerned with stripping environmental regulations so that alg. can take over our ecosystems. It is time to say enough.

What more could be done to curb gun violence? Share your opinion on the changes to school safety and gun ownership enforced in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Act.

Approximately two thirds of all gun deaths in the United States are caused by suicide, while Florida ranks 50th out of 50 states for mental health care spending. Increased spending on mental health care would be a good first step to reducing gun deaths. We must do more to ensure the perpetrators of domestic violence are prohibited from ever getting a gun. We must ensure every gun transaction has a background check – and we need to improve our background check systems. I think the MSDPSA was a flawed bill for several reasons. As a seven-year Army veteran, I understand the regular training it takes to use a firearm in a high-stress environment. Allowing school personnel to carry firearms in schools is foolish and will only result in more unnecessary deaths of students, teachers, and law enforcement officers. The requirement of school resource officers is a positive step, but the bill did not provide funding, adding an additional unfunded mandate to already strapped school districts and local law enforcement agencies.

The Stand Your Ground Law has been highly controversial. Do you think the law is working or is there something lawmakers should do to change it?  

The original stated premise of the Stand Your Ground law was that law-abiding citizens should not have to retreat from criminal threats. In principle, this sounds good. In practice, however, it has turned into something totally different. In practice, it has turned into nothing more that a license to lynch. Overwhelmingly, the law has been used as a defense for white men to shoot unarmed people of color - like the most recent case being the murder of Markeis McGlockton in Pinellas County - while domestic violence victims and people of color are prosecuted at alarming rates for legitimately defending themselves in life threatening situations. Stand Your Ground must be repealed.

When Richard Spencer came to the University of Florida’s campus last year, the administration at first barred him from renting a space to speak. They later reversed that and allowed the event to take place on campus. What did you think of the decision making process?

I think the decision-making process went something like this: The University initially rejected the hateful bigot from renting a facility on campus. The white supremacist then threatened to sue the University on First Amendment grounds, and the University was left with a choice between fighting that battle in court – which it would likely lose, and in the process spend a significant amount of money on attorneys - or allowing the event to go forward. Either way, I don’t think the University had the legal grounds to stop the event from taking place. Would I have made the same decision? No, I think I would have made the bigots fight it out in court and spend down their resources, and made the court force the University into acquiescence. Ultimately, I am proud that when the event did take place, our community came together to provide him with the least hospitable place to spew his garbage.  

Do you support legalizing marijuana for recreational use and why?

I support the legalization of marijuana for recreational use for several reasons. The first is fiscal. The amount of money spent by governments of all levels enforcing prohibition over my lifetime is mind boggling, and to no good end. The “War on Drugs” has been a complete waste, and nowhere is this more obvious than in our national marijuana policy. The second is social justice. Prohibition leads to the incarceration and creation of unnecessary criminal records that lead to unemployment, under employment, and disenfranchisement of a disproportionate number of people of color. The last reason I will cite here is simply rational. There is no good reason why we should prohibit a drug that has not one single documented case of an overdose, while dangerous drugs that kill thousands of Americans every year - like alcohol and prescription opiates - remain legal.

Do you support a $15 minimum wage and why?

I was raised on the principle that an honest day’s work deserves and honest day’s pay, so I support a $15 minimum wage. No person that works 40 hours a week should live in poverty - the minimum wage must be a living wage. Once the minimum wage is elevated to $15, it should be indexed to inflation to eliminate the need for the cyclical political fights to raise it. Additionally, the Florida legislature should not preempt local governments from passing ordinances that require a higher minimum wage.  

Sexual assault is a serious issue on college campuses. What, if anything, should lawmakers do to address concerns raised by the #MeToo movement and other instances of unwanted sexual harassment and assault?

The most important thing that anyone can do is just listen. The important of the #MeToo movement is that finally victims were given the space to speak up and tell their stories. While there is much to be done on the legislative level to protect everyone, we have to start by listening to the stories that are coming out.

How do you hope to address North Central Florida’s economy and growth?  

North Florida’s economy relies on our environment. Outside of Gainesville, House District 21 is incredibly rural and many families depend on agriculture to survive and none of this will be possible if our water is compromised. I feel that our number one priority is making sure that our water is protected.

How would you gauge threats to the environment and what do you hope to do about them?

The biggest threat to our environment in Florida is the Florida legislature. Since Republicans have been in control of the state house here for the last 20 years, the quality of our water and our water resources has gone steadily down due to decreased regulations, underfunded government agencies, and constant staff turnover. I hope to be an advocate.

What is your opinion of the Sunshine Law?  

I think that the intention of the Sunshine Law is good, but it also make collaboration and communication harder.

What is an example of a policy or issue you have changed your view on in the last 20 years? 

Marijuana is one of the biggest issues that I have changed on. Growing up in a conservative Catholic family, I was always opposed, but I began to see the money that was poured into regulations and the devastating effects it was having on our poorer communities, I started to support decriminalization.

Do you support voting on college campuses?

Absolutely, without question.

The campaign:

Is there anything you want us to know about your opponent(s)?  

Amol is a great kid with a bright future, but he does not have deep ties to Gainesville or the district. I think once he gets a little bit of experience in the district, he will be a real asset to our state.

Why should voters vote for you?  

Because we need people in Tallahassee who are concerned about more than just the special interests. Chuck Clemons is a nice guy who smiles and is really polite while he votes to deregulate our water and privatize our public schools. We can do better.

Miscellaneous:

What type of student were you in college?  

I came to UF as a student after serving seven years in the Army as a non-traditional student. I was not a great student (a solid C average), but I was active in the student chapter of my professional society (ASCE) and I worked part time during my entire time in school to supplement my GI Bill benefits and leave college with very little debt.

What is the last music concert you saw?

Savants of Soul at the High Dive.

Who is your political hero? Why?

Tip O’Neill is my favorite political hero because he believed in the importance of local issues. My favorite quote by him is that “All politics is local.”

What is the best advice you have ever gotten?

“Jump.”