Education updates generic
Education updates generic

Though COVID-19 cases are soaring nationwide and in Alachua County, cases in Alachua County Public Schools seem to have slowed for the week. 

The P.K. Yonge football team was forced to forfeit the team’s regional quarterfinal scheduled Friday after a team member tested positive for the virus.

Since last Friday, nine more student COVID-19 cases were reported, bringing the student total to 152, according to ACPS’ COVID-19 dashboard. Five more staff cases were also reported, totalling the staff count to 91.

There are 46 active cases, with 16 in elementary schools, eight in middle schools, 18 in high schools and two in school centers, according to the dashboard.

This week, 35 people are in quarantine — a decrease from 185 last week. The school district has now reported almost 250 COVID-19 cases since the start of the school year.

In elementary schools, there is one student case each at Foster, Parker, Shell and Williams. There are six reported student cases at Idylwild Elementary School. Hidden Oak, Littlewood, Talbot and Wiles all have one staff member who tested positive. Two staff members at Terwilliger Elementary School also have COVID-19.

In middle schools, Lincoln has two student and two staff cases. Kanapaha has one student and one staff case. Bishop and Oak View each have one staff case.

Buchholz High School and Newberry High School each have four student cases. Newberry also has three staff cases. Gainesville High School has two student and two staff positives. Eastside has two staff positives, and Santa Fe has one student positive. 

In A. Quinn Jones Center, there is one student and one staff case. There are no reported cases in district departments.