Generic Crime 1.PNG
Generic Crime 1.PNG

Update: The case against William Baxter has been dismissed due to insufficient evidence.

A Gainesville man has been accused of assaulting a woman over the weekend.

William Baxter was charged with domestic battery by strangulation and simple battery after two alleged incidents Saturday and Sunday.

The 28-year-old was arrested Sunday after the victim, who had an on-and-off relationship with Baxter, told police about two incidents that occurred at 2200 NW 51st Terrace, according to a Gainesville Police report.

The victim told GPD she got into an argument with Baxter at around 2:00 a.m Saturday, the report said. The victim accused Baxter of punching her in the stomach, striking her in the back of the head, using his knees to hold her down and grabbing her by the throat and choking her.

The victim also told police Baxter poured a bottle of rubbing alcohol on her Sunday, the report said. The officer reported seeing bruises on the victims’ arms and wrists and redness on the side of her throat, the report said. The officer also noted that the victims’ hair appeared to be wet with rubbing alcohol.

The officer noticed Baxter driving nearby and arrested him, the report said. Baxter told GPD the victim had attempted to attack him while he was sleeping. He denied choking her and said he didn’t recall striking her or holding her down. He also had injuries where he said the victim scratched him, according to the report.

Baxter was released on a $50,000 bond Monday, according to the Alachua County Jail.

Contact River at rwells@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @riverhwells.