Plane makes emergency landing near Paynes Prarie

<p>Law enforcement officials moved a plane off the northbound lanes of Interstate 75 after it made an emergency landing this afternoon.</p>

Law enforcement officials moved a plane off the northbound lanes of Interstate 75 after it made an emergency landing this afternoon.

Law enforcement received a call before noon today about a small two-seat fixed-wing aircraft on Interstate 75 near Paynes Prairie Rest Area, according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.

There were two occupants in the aircraft. Neither of the occupants sustained injuries, according to the ASO. The investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration is still ongoing, but the plane may have made a emergency or precautionary landing.

ASO informed commuters of the incident and offered alternate routes and traffic updates through twitter.

“#I75 is completely open again - the #airplane is parked at the Rest Area just north of Paynes Prairie until @FAANews completes their investigation this afternoon,” tweeted ASO. “Please drive safely as you pass by.”

The aircraft was moved to a grass median of the northbound side of Paynes Prairie Rest Area and was inspected by the FAA.

The FAA declined to comment.

Two occupants in the aircraft did not sustain any injuries, according to ASO.