‘Race against time’: Gainesville residents try to save historic Florida Motel sign

<p>The Florida Motel sign sits along Southwest 13th Street. The motel's realtor is trying to save the sign.</p>

The Florida Motel sign sits along Southwest 13th Street. The motel's realtor is trying to save the sign.

The rusted red and blue sign advertises luxuries: electric, cable TV and air conditioning.

For the 1950s, it was a deal.

The triangle marquee for the Florida Motel has sat alongside Southwest 13th Street for about 60 years. But now, the sign is at risk, said Chip Patel, the commercial broker and realtor of the Florida Motel. Patel wants to save the sign as the motel’s planned demolition approaches.

“The building is something that you might not see passing the road, but that sign — that sign is something that will hit you,” Patel said.

Patel created aGoFundMe campaign Thursday to raise $2,500, the amount he said it takes to relocate the sign elsewhere, and have it donated to the city. The city could move the sign to another public space like Depot Park, he said. So far, eight people have donated a total of $760, according to the page.

The motel and sign have been icons due to its retro aesthetic and historic value, City of Gainesville Department of Doing Director Wendy Thomas said. There was a request to preserve the building, but a demolition permit has been given to the new owner, the Comfort Suites Hotel, she said.

“Things like the sign and old buildings in the community tell the story of who we are and where we come from,” Thomas said. “The sign has so much character.”

Multiple people were interested in purchasing the sign, Patel said. If the community isn’t able to raise the money in two and a half weeks, the sign will be sold to one of the private buyers, Patel said.

Thomas has been assisting Patel with the fundraising.

“I know that it means something to many, many people in this community,” Thomas said. “I feel like it’s a little bit of a race against time, but I just really hope that all the pieces fall into place.”

Olivia Wilson, a 42-year-old Ocala resident, said not having the sign is like going to Hollywood, California, and not seeing the Hollywood sign. She said she hopes it will be preserved.

“You can’t wipe away where we come from, we have to keep some of that history alive.” Wilson said.

Contact Dana Cassidy at dcassidy@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @danacassidy_