<p>UF Black Student Union and Student Government Productions are hosting rapper 21 Savage to perform during a Black History Month celebration on Feb. 27. A Facebook event page was posted on Thursday.</p>

UF Black Student Union and Student Government Productions are hosting rapper 21 Savage to perform during a Black History Month celebration on Feb. 27. A Facebook event page was posted on Thursday.

Rapper 21 Savage is coming to UF in celebration of Black History Month.

At 6:30 p.m. Feb. 27, Shayaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, better known as 21 Savage, will perform at the O’Connell Center, said Akil Reynolds, a 21-year-old UF public health senior and the UF Black Student Union president.

21 Savage will be paid $110,000 to perform an hour-long set, according to his contract with UF.

UF Student Government Productions and the UF Black Student Union will host the event, Reynolds said. Student tickets will cost $10 and general tickets will cost $20. Presale will begin 10 a.m. Jan. 30 with UF students able to purchase up to four tickets at a time. Sales to the general public will begin Jan. 31 at the O’Connell Center box office and Ticketmaster.com.

Collaborations between the Black Student Union and Student Government Productions are important because they allow a marginalized group to be at the forefront of a decision process they’re usually excluded from, Reynolds said.

21 Savage was considered as a performer for UF before the release of his album “i am > i was” in December, Reynolds said. After listening to a few of the new singles, Reynolds knew the album was going to be popular with everyone.

UF has a diverse student population with diverse interests, Reynolds said. By bringing a diverse artist to perform, groups of people can be brought together.

“It’s important for black performers in music to come out because when you look at [Billboard’s Hot 100] a lot of it is coming from black performers,” Reynolds said.

The opening act for the rapper has not been announced yet, said Andrew Kelly, the chairman of Student Government Productions and a 21-year-old UF finance senior.

21 Savage was chosen to perform at UF due to his music style best exemplifying African American influence within popular music, Kelly wrote in an email. Outside of music, 21 Savage is promoting financial literacy among lower-income neighborhoods through his 21 Savage Bank Account Campaign.

As a performer, 21 Savage is enjoyable to all audiences due to his authenticity in his lyrics and ability to connect with the audience, Kelly said.

“Together, these characteristics will create an unforgettable experience for those in attendance,” he said.

Aliyah Malcolm, a 19-year-old UF industrial engineering junior, doesn’t listen to 21 Savage’s music often but still plans to go to have a fun night out with friends.

“Most of my friends are pumped to go, so I’ll go, too,” she said. “I’m interested to see his performance and what he’ll come with.”

Follow Dana Cassidy on Twitter @danacassidy_ and contact her at dcassidy@alligator.org.