<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-799f1d49-7fff-763d-1291-d93c176ee071"><span>The Taco Bell located across campus on University Avenue shut down operations Monday.</span></span></p>

The Taco Bell located across campus on University Avenue shut down operations Monday.

The Taco Bell at Midtown will live no más as it was abruptly closed.

The location, 1404 W. University Ave., closed on Monday, said Craig Carter, the realtor overseeing the leasing of the space. The franchise was owned by private owners who Carter could not name.

The cantina-style version of the franchise, which featured a custom menu and alcoholic beverages, opened in Gainesville in December 2017. The Taco Bell had a modern design, an open kitchen and no drive-thru.

The location was listed on the Taco Bell website, with pickup orders unavailable, until Wednesday morning.

Kevin Fernandez, a 21-year-old UF economics and philosophy senior, said he visited the restaurant at least once every two weeks.

“Most of my classes tend to cluster in the buildings along University Avenue. Taco Bell was a convenient, cheap and delicious option,” Fernandez said. “It was my emergency lunch.”

Taco Bell corporate could not be reached for comment, and local Taco Bell franchises declined to comment.