<p>Ian Milaski</p>

Ian Milaski

A UF resident assistant recently arrested when a student told police he tried to sexually batter her was released from jail after a judge agreed he is a “high-achieving” student leader.

Ian Milaski, a 21-year-old UF economics senior, was released Friday on his own recognizance on both battery and false imprisonment charges after a motion to reduce his original bond of $125,000 was granted, according to court records. 

Milaski was arrested Aug. 28 when a female student accused him of repeatedly asking her to have sex, grabbing her and trying “to finger her,” according to a University Police arrest report. Hours later, Milaski went to her dorm and tried lying next to her again until another person stopped him.

The motion to reduce Milaski’s bond said he wished to be released due to financial difficulties as well as to complete his school assignments on time and help his parents in Cape Coral, Florida, prepare for Hurricane Dorian.

The attorney also wrote that further evidence will show the incident to be a “misunderstanding among platonic friends fueled by alcohol.”

The motion said Milaski is a teaching assistant who manages 40 other teaching assistants, served 210 community service hours and is part of Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key honor societies.

As part of his release, Milaski is being monitored by a GPS and is not allowed to contact the victim or return to Alachua or Sarasota County except for court appointments or “necessary” events at UF, according to court records. UPD issued a trespass warning against Milaski after his initial arrest.

No court date is set yet, according to court records.

The attorney declined to comment further on Milaski’s behalf as of Sunday afternoon

The victim, whose phone number was listed in the original arrest report, confirmed to The Alligator she is a UF sophomore. She didn't speak to The Alligator further. 

A Facebook profile with the same name as the female student posted about the incident a day after The Alligator first contacted her.

The facts of the post matched the initial arrest report involving Milaski. She wrote that the accused male, who is a resident assistant in Weaver Hall, was drunk and tried to force himself on her despite heavy protests. The woman described how he picked her up, forced her back into the room and later followed her to her dorm to try to sleep with her again.

The post said she reported the incident and the individual is in jail, which Milaski was on the day of the post.

“I do not want this incident to be swept under the rug! I will continue to fight this and I will continue to fight him until the very end,” the post said.

The Alligator reached out to students who know Milaski, but each declined to speak on the record.

A Facebook profile under Milaski’s name has previously posted motivational content on UF-oriented Facebook groups. The profile also posted a comedic video about sorority girls that received hundreds of likes in the group “Swampy UF memes for top ten public teens.”

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say,” the profile wrote, reciting a quote, in a post on the UF Class of 2022 (official) Facebook group in Aug. 2018. 

He wrote further, “This is a good one. I’m very guilty of this sometimes.”

Ian Milaski