Gators wrap up SEC regular season in Athens, Georgia

<p>Trinity Thomas</p>

Trinity Thomas

This season has been an incredibly successful one for Florida.

It is 8-0 and has beaten three teams ranked in the top 10.

And most importantly, it won the SEC regular season title for the second year in a row.

Now as the Gators approach the home stretch of their schedule, there is one more box for the orange and blue to check: exacting revenge on its most bitter rival.

Last season, No. 7 Georgia came into Gainesville and shocked No. 3 Florida, giving it its only home loss of the season.

Tonight is the rematch as the Gators travel to Athens, Georgia, to battle UGA. Action from a sold-out Stegeman Coliseum will begin at 7 p.m. and can be seen on the SEC Network.

The idea of retaliation certainly has crossed the mind of the team.

“For half the team, this will be our first trip to Georgia and I’m so excited to come out and make their arena our own,” sophomore Leah Clapper said

Florida also has the opportunity against Georgia to clinch its first undefeated SEC regular season title. In 2007, the team finished with no losses, but did finish with a tie.

Junior Alyssa Baumann said she isn’t shocked with the team’s success, given its motivation and a change in preparation from last season.

“Last season, I feel like we peaked at a really early time,” Baumann said. “And this year, we are slowly building through the season.”

This meet has added meaning for Baumann whose sister, Rachel, plays for the Dawgs. The junior said she expects to have a lot of family in attendance.

“Any time me and my sister get to compete it’s a lot of fun,” she said. “To have all my family there and watch me is super exciting.”

This season hasn’t been as kind to No. 10 Georgia as last season. The Bulldogs enter 8-5 (2-2 SEC), but have won their last two meets.

UF is coming off its second-highest score of the season (198.05) against No. 8 Alabama last Friday night. In that meet, senior Sierra Alexander and Clapper set new career-highs – Alexander with a 9.95 in vault and Clapper with a 9.975 on beam.

“It was an amazing feeling. The second I started my series, I knew it would go great,” Clapper said. “I was happy to just do what I do in practice.”

Follow Noah on Twitter @Noah_ram1 and contact him at nram@alligator.org.

Trinity Thomas

Noah Ram

Noah is a third year journalism-sports and media student from Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. He has been with The Alligator since Spring 2019 and has covered men’s and women’s tennis, gymnastics and volleyball. When he isn’t on his beat, Noah is usually sadden over his beloved South Florida sports teams, such as the Heat and Dolphins.