Saturday, June 15, 2024

Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp

Metro Editor

Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp is a third-year journalism and environmental science major and metro editor for The Alligator. Outside of the newsroom, you can usually find her haunting local music venues.

SPANISH

‘Nunca habrá justicia’: Progresivos y profesores de la UF reaccionan a la condena de Trump

Trump es ahora el primer expresidente de los EE. UU. en ser condenado por un delito grave. Él hizo historia el 30 de mayo cuando fue declarado culpable por los 34 cargos de delito grave por tratar de influenciar las elecciones de 2016 a tráves de un pago de dinero secreto a la actríz de películas adultas Stormy Daniels, quien alegó que los dos tuvieron sexo.

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

‘It has turned back the clock’: Florida Democrats fear approaching six-week abortion ban

The Florida Supreme Court upheld the state’s 15-week abortion ban April 1, concluding the years-long legal challenge and instituting a new six-week ban. On the same day, the court also approved an opposing state constitutional amendment to appear on the November general election ballot, leaving the fate of abortion access in the hands of Florida voters. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Approval of Florida recreational marijuana ballot initiative draws mixed opinions from state residents

The Florida Supreme Court approved Amendment 3 to appear on the November general election ballot April 1, an initiative that would authorize recreational marijuana for adults 21 years of age and over if approved by 60% of Florida voters. Statewide advocacy groups along with local residents, students and businesses expressed varying opinions on the potential amendment to the Florida constitution. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Alachua County primary election season reflects low voter turnout, lack of faith among Republicans

Alachua County Republican presidential preference primary voter turnout displays an overall decline since 2004, falling below the 2024 state average turnout of approximately 21.2%.  As state ballot counts are finalized, the 17 remaining presidential preference primaries will take place nationally spanning the end of March through the beginning of August. The chosen Democratic and Republican candidates will be finalized prior to the November general presidential election.

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Biden v. Trump: A local examination of the presidential ‘lesser of two evils’ debate

In light of the quickly approaching election season, UF students, professors and Gainesville residents have begun examining the impacts of political polarization and weighing the most likely presidential candidates to emerge from the primaries: President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump.  Florida’s primary election is slated for March 19, with 22 others remaining nationwide before the finalization of which Republican and Democrat candidates will advance to the November general election. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Florida bill could hold local governments liable for removing Confederate monuments

Senate Bill 1122 — cited as the “Historic Florida Monuments and Memorials Protection Act” — was filed by Sen. Jonathan Martin, R-Fort Myers, in December 2023. If enacted, it would protect historic monuments and memorials from removal, holding local governments legally liable for enforcing ordinances or rules around those withdrawals. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Florida education reform initiatives limit African American studies, DEI funds

Various education reform bills have altered curriculum and cut funding to certain programs in public K-12 schools and universities since the beginning of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration. The initiatives have targeted a wide variety of subject matter including diversity, equity and inclusion programs as well as all critical theory, a blanket term that encompasses the idea of critical race theory.  The passage of new legislation, both in support and opposition of past initiatives, faces the state legislature in 2024. 

More articles »