Monday, February 26, 2024

Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp

Alligator Staff Writer

Rylan DiGiacomo-Rapp is a first-year Journalism major and a Metro News Assistant for The Alligator. You'll usually find her reading, watching movies and searching for creative ways to be more environmentally friendly. She loves going on spontaneous adventures and grabbing boba/coffee with friends. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Florida bill could hold local governments liable for removing Confederate monuments

Senate Bill 1122 — cited as the “Historic Florida Monuments and Memorials Protection Act” — was filed by Sen. Jonathan Martin, R-Fort Myers, in December 2023. If enacted, it would protect historic monuments and memorials from removal, holding local governments legally liable for enforcing ordinances or rules around those withdrawals. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Florida education reform initiatives limit African American studies, DEI funds

Various education reform bills have altered curriculum and cut funding to certain programs in public K-12 schools and universities since the beginning of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration. The initiatives have targeted a wide variety of subject matter including diversity, equity and inclusion programs as well as all critical theory, a blanket term that encompasses the idea of critical race theory.  The passage of new legislation, both in support and opposition of past initiatives, faces the state legislature in 2024. 

METRO  |  POLITICS ENTERPRISE

Florida bill could lower the bar for defamation lawsuits against media organizations

House Bill 757 titled “Defamation, False Light, and Unauthorized Publication of Name or Likeness” seeks to lower the bar for public figures filing these lawsuits. Proposed by Rep. Alex Andrade, R-Pensacola, the initiative would widen the scope of actual malice, work to discredit anonymous sources, limit the use of artificial intelligence, establish 60-day veracity hearings and authorize venue expansion. 

METRO

Alachua County Forever acquires vital portion of land for conservation corridor

Following years of collaboration with McNab and the Carr family, Alachua County Forever purchased this land, which is slated to become part of a wildlife corridor southwest of Micanopy. It will connect Barr Hammock Preserve and Price’s Scrub State Park, a vital development in statewide conservation efforts. The property formerly belonged to Archie and his wife, conservationist Majorie Harris Carr. 

More articles »

Popular

No events at this time.
Submit an event

Join us for the holiday shopping event of the year and help support the missions and ministries of First ...

Red Cedar, Arizona Cypress tabletop to 8 ft. tall. Open weekends Nov. 20 thru Dec. 19 and Nov. 26 10am ...
Submit classified