How to keep your skin safe this summer

<p>Follow these tips in order to have a safe and enjoyable time on the beach during vacation.</p>

Follow these tips in order to have a safe and enjoyable time on the beach during vacation.

Before packing a beach bag and heading out to the shore this summer, it’s important to remember to protect your skin against sunburns and skin cancer.

Skincancer.org recommends beachcombers follow these tips in order to have a safe and enjoyable time on the beach during vacation.

1. Pack many tubes of sunscreen

If you plan on being at the beach — even for a few minutes — sunscreen is a must. To protect against the sun’s UV rays, you need to make sure your sunscreen of choice is water resistant in order to protect you all day and an SPF of 15 or higher. In fact, the higher the SPF, the better!

2. Choose the right time

Because the sun is most intense during the times of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., choose your time on the sand wisely. Instead of going at the hottest time of day, why not go for a walk on shore in the morning or for an after-dinner stroll?

3. Put some clothes on

Although wearing your brand-new bikini sounds like the most ideal outfit for the beach, you may want to start rethinking that. Because bikinis don’t cover much skin (duh! Isn’t that the point?), wearing a few extra articles of clothing when you’re not in the water may help to protect against the most powerful UV rays.

• Wear a big floppy hat.
  • Wear a cover-up or a dress when you’re not in the water. For guys, try long board shorts.
  • Wear sunglasses. Polarized lens are a plus.

4. Pick a covered spot on the beach

If you don’t have a beach umbrella to cover you from the sun, search for a shaded area on the shore or a chair with a shade. Some beaches have chairs with umbrellas for rent.

If you’re not a big fan of the beach but you still plan on heading outdoors during your vacation, these tips will still be useful — so remember to protect yourself and your skin!

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Mondays.