UF students start group to support women through exercise

A student club is supporting women in their quests to be healthier.

Changing Health Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls, also known as CHAARG, was started at UF in Spring. The group, which is not yet an official UF student organization, will hold weekly fitness workshops, said Dea Opari, CHAARG’s president.

The group is a national organization started in 2012 by a former Ohio State University swimmer who wanted women to support each other through exercise, Opari said. Since then, it has spread to 45 universities.

Opari said the UF group, which now has 57 members, will host small group workouts in addition to larger meetings, where everyone exercises together at different locations on campus. Small groups will learn about meal preparation or go on excursions to nature trails.

“Being healthy is way more than the amount of calories you burn, it’s about creating positivity in your life in all aspects,” she said.

Jackie Roberts, the organization’s secretary, participated in the group’s first large fitness workshop Jan. 17 with Pure Barre Gainesville, a local workout studio.

Roberts, a health education and behavior junior, said she joined the group to hold herself accountable to work out consistently.

“I’m hoping to gain friendships with girls who have interests similar to mine and have a support group behind me who pushes me to be the best I can be,” the 20-year-old said.