Students no longer need to safely remove their USBs. 

UF students, faculty and staff were recently granted 1,000 GB of free cloud storage for their files. 

The new service is called OneDrive @ UF, a product of Microsoft that is part of a series of existing services called GatorCloud, said Tracy Gale, communications manager for UF Information Technology.

With OneDrive, saved documents and files are not limited to the UF community, Gale said. Students can share photos and videos with friends and family anywhere. 

“It frees up a lot of space for you and gives you a lot of storage capacity,” Gale said, “but it also gives you the opportunity for all these other collaboration tools.”

To be eligible for OneDrive, students must use Office 365 email, she said. UFIT launched the email service for students in November as an alternative to GatorLink Webmail.

Anupa Kotipoyina, a UF history sophomore, said she does not use Office 365 but would switch for the added benefits. 

“I feel like Webmail is really outdated,” said Kotipoyina, 19. 

Gale said UFIT is looking for more ways to make students’ information mobile and easily accessible. 

“OneDrive is part of a continuing commitment to making more cloud services available for our students,” Gale said.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/11/2014 under the headline "UF now has free GatorCloud storage"]