UF professor, author to speak at Headquarters Library

Award-winning environmental journalist and author Cynthia Barnett will speak at the Headquarters branch of the Alachua County Library District from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

The event, which will be held at 401 E. University Ave., is part of the library district’s 2016 Author Series.

The event brings authors and illustrators to discuss their work, sign books and answer readers’ questions, Nickie Kortus, a marketing and public relations representative for the Alachua County Library District, said.

Barnett has written articles for The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic and several other publications.

She has also authored three books.

In her newest work, “Rain: A Natural and Cultural History,” Barnett explored the history of rain and how climate change is altering rainfall patterns, causing storms and droughts, Kortus said.

“She travels the world to collect a global perspective,” Kortus said.

Barnett, who is also a UF College of Journalism and Communications Hearst Visiting Professional, devoted her career to understanding the world’s water systems and advocating for the responsible use of water.

Madison Lynn Haughie, a recent UF alumna, said she is interested in science writing and that Barnett is an enthusiastic speaker.

“She’s someone who really cares about sharing her knowledge,” Haughie said.