UF’s Torrian Gray hired by Redskins, Gators hire two new assistants

<p>UF defensive backs coach Torrian Gray.&nbsp;</p>

UF defensive backs coach Torrian Gray. 

Defensive backs coach Torrian Gray is leaving UF for the NFL.

After helping shape the nation’s second-best pass defense in 2016, Gray has been hired to the Washington Redskins’ coaching staff, 247Sports reported on Saturday.

Gray was hired to the UF job from Virginia Tech and joined Florida’s staff in February 2016. He’s already had one two-year stint in the NFL as an assistant defensive backs coach for the Chicago bears in 2004-2005.

In Gray’s lone season as a UF coach, the Gators secondary jumped from No. 13 in passing yards allowed per game and No. 27 in completion percentage allowed to No. 2 nationwide in both categories.

Gray coached defensive backs Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson in 2016, both of whom are expected to be taken in the first or second round of the NFL draft in April.

Gray also helped bring in six defensive backs as part of Florida’s 2017 recruiting class, despite not being a primary recruiter.

In his place Florida has hired Corey Bell, who had been named as USF’s defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator after Charlie Strong took over the program.

UF also announced the hiring of Brad Davis, who comes from a role as offensive line coach at North Texas.

Presumably, Bell will coach defensive backs and Davis will coach the offensive line, although UF said the specific position assignments will be announced next week.

Contact Matt Brannon at mbrannon@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @mattb_727

UF defensive backs coach Torrian Gray.