Urban Meyer will return to the Gators after an extended leave of absence, a source close to the team confirmed this afternoon.

Meyer announced Saturday that he would be stepping down as the head coach of the Florida football team, and it was reported that he would not coach again due to health reasons.

The source said that Meyer informed the team before boarding a plane to New Orleans that offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will take over head coaching duties until Meyer is ready to come back to the team.

There has been no timetable set on his return, though the source said it could be as early as next season. 

(1) comment

edspillane
edspillane

Congrats to the Kyle and the Alligator on getting this news first. Hope Urban gets everything taken care of and feels better.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.