Monday, March 18, 2024

Freshman showcasing versatility for Florida softball heading into home opener

If there was one word that would describe what kind of player Nicole DeWitt, it would be versatile.

The Garden Grove, California, native was a top-10 recruit, who was recruited to the Florida softball program as an infielder, with her primary position being second base.

But there’s a certain All-American who plays second base on the UF team: Kelsey Stewart.

With DeWitt being so versatile, coach Tim Walton has the flexibility to move her around the field.

Walton seems to have found a home for DeWitt at a position that was arguably foreign to her, left field.

"We started the fall games and I was only playing third base," DeWitt said. "And then after the fall games, we came back to practicing and he (Walton) was like, ‘I’m going to throw you in left field’ and I was like ‘OK, why not, let’s try it.’"

Through six games so far this season, the moves seems to have paid off.

DeWitt has started five games out in left field, but she’s made multiple appearances in the infield at second base and third base, where she started against Illinois State.

Even with her versatility, Walton doesn’t want DeWitt to become a player who can’t get comfortable with one position.

"You just want to make sure that we don’t develop Nicole into the jack of all trades and the master of none," Walton said. "We got to make sure we get something mastered here at some point."

In the batters box though, DeWitt has the ability to contribute significantly to the team. At Pacifica high school, DeWitt was a three-time MaxPreps All-American and was a three-time Pacifica High School Offensive MVP from 2012-2014.

Since arriving at UF, DeWitt has been known for working the count and getting on base by any means possible.

During fall practices, Walton said DeWitt was among the top players on the team in seeing pitches per plate appearance, averaging five pitches per at bat.

What made Walton most excited was that she was able to translate what she did in the fall to the first five games of the season at the USF Softball Classic in Tampa.

In Tampa, DeWitt got on base five times via a walk, which was second on the team behind Lauren Haeger, and was hit by a pitch on three different occasions easily the most on the team.

Getting DeWitt out is no simple task.

"Most people don’t recognize how hard that is for a freshman to do, but that takes experience," Walton said. "It just takes a lot of time to be able to do that…she works the count, she gets hit, she gets a hit, gets a ball over the plate.

"I was very happy that she could keep her heartbeat normal and do those, very very positive."

DeWitt will now have the chance to showcase her skills at home for the first time, as Florida will be opening up its home season today against N.C. State. DeWitt will go into the game with a .308 batting average, but she has a hefty .571 on base percentage, which is tied for fifth on the team for players who have played in more than two games.

DeWitt also ranks second on the team in runs scored with eight, which is one behind junior Taylor Schwarz.

DeWitt has also stolen two bases in two attempts, which also ranks second on the team behind Stewart, who is the leader with five.

DeWitt wants the fans to come out and show support for the team as they make their run at a second national title.

"I’m so excited, seeing our homes fans, I really want to see how crazy it gets out in the stands," she said.

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII