Just Cats
Just Cats

Students in the College of Fine Arts at UF may not be able to create cat art in class, but that didn’t stop them from doing it outside the classroom.

“Just Cats” is exactly what it sounds like. It is an art show that nine art students created to display anything and everything cat-related, an opportunity to do something fun and connect with other people who share common interests.

“This is the opposite of what we would ever do in our classes,” said Dounia Bendris, a 20-year-old UF art junior. “It’s basically a gallery reception with different cat art from different art majors.”

Bendris said she hopes the concept and theme of the show will encourage students to come and view art, and because it is “Just Cats,” it will create a more inviting atmosphere.

If that isn’t enough, maybe people will be attracted with the free food, she said.

The show is being held in association with the Reitz Union Board Entertainment and can be viewed on the second floor of the Reitz Union in the gallery.

The artwork will be on display from Thursday through Feb. 18. The official opening of the show is during the gallery reception from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Feb. 7.

At the reception, there will be food and drinks, and people will have the opportunity to view different mediums of cat art and talk to the students who created them.

“A lot of our art will be conceptual in some way, and it’s such an open topic that relates to our culture. Our work is about the connection between cats and the Internet and how we relate to that and how it reflects in society,” said Zac Thompson, a 20-year-old UF art junior, who is one of the artists featured in the show.

He and eight others are creating works of art such as paintings, drawings, mixed media, photographs and sculptures to put on display in the gallery, some of which will be available for purchase the night of the reception.

“We’re going to have a contact list, so if you see anything that you want, you can contact the artist directly and figure out a price,” said Devin Kelly, a 20-year-old UF graphic design junior, who is also the director of the gallery.

Both the original pieces as well as prints will be available for purchase.

Thompson said he hopes this show will make people aware of what the gallery has to offer and will get people interested in viewing art and attending other art galleries on campus.