<p>Kris Allen, “American Idol” season 8 winner, will play at High Dive Jan. 24. Jillette Johnson and Rachel Rose will open the show. Doors open at 8 p.m.</p>

Kris Allen, “American Idol” season 8 winner, will play at High Dive Jan. 24. Jillette Johnson and Rachel Rose will open the show. Doors open at 8 p.m.

“American Idol” season 8 winner Kris Allen will perform at 8 p.m. Jan. 24 at High Dive. Jillette Johnson and Rachel Rose will join him as opening acts.

Allen is an Arkansas-bred singer/songwriter touring North America in support of his sophomore album, “Thank You Camellia,” which released in May. The Avenue talked to Kris about his upcoming show in Gainesville, his thoughts about being an expectant father and his maturation as a songwriter.

Q: Are you excited to play in Gainesville? Have you toured in this area before?

A: “I don’t think I’ve done a ton of touring in Florida. We’ve done Miami and Tampa a couple of times. But when it comes down to it, I don’t think we’ve done a place like Gainesville. I know Gainesville is a college town, and I love college towns. I really just enjoy going to smaller cities.”

Q: How has your songwriting and goals as a musician changed from “American Idol” to your first record to the “Thank You Camellia” release?

A: “I think it changed completely. When I came off the show, I was just a baby. I was really new. I felt like I had a lot of talent but hadn’t really ushered in that talent that much yet. Over the years, I’ve become friends with a lot of musicians and songwriters, and we’ve toured with a lot of amazing artists. I’ve learned so much. I’ve learned what it takes to make it in this business, or at least what I think it takes, anyway. It takes a lot of work, a lot of practice — trying to get better every day. I feel like I’ve done that.”

Q: How did you like sharing the stage with Bruce Springsteen in New York City last October during the Little Kids Rock benefit show?

A: “It was pretty awesome. I think at one point, I was singing in the same mic as Elvis Costello. After the night was over, I was hanging out on stage. I was waiting for Bruce to walk back .... He initiated conversation, which I thought was amazing. I guess he was in the crowd when I sang earlier that night. He said, ‘You did a really, really good job.’ It was cool to hear something like that from Bruce Springsteen.”

Q: What are you most excited about by becoming a father?

A: “I don’t really know what to look forward to. I know it’s going to be a lot of work — a lot of diapers, a lot of poop and stuff like that. After getting our dog a couple years ago, I’ve fallen in love with him. He’s pretty much like my son. But I know that it’s going to be even more intense [when] I have a real kid. I just can’t wait to grow up with [them] and see what kind of person they become.”

Q: Any collaborations with other artists in the works?

A: “There are things in the works, but I will keep my secrets.”

Q: What’s next for you after this tour?

A: “I’ll spend some time with my family for a little bit because I’ll be gone so long, but also songwriting and getting back into the studio.”