Monday, April 29, 2024

Though the Gator Party nearly swept the fall Student Government election, it's still facing the consequences of several complaints filed by the Progress Party.

Sarah Krantz, supervisor of elections, said the Elections Commission fined the Gator Party ,10 on Thursday for violating rules in Hume Hall.

Sam Miorelli, Progress Party chief counsel, said he filed the complaint Monday after learning that someone had slid Gator Party handbills under several doors on the first floor of Hume West around 3 p.m. Sept. 27.

"The Gator Party and their incumbents, they're the people who wrote the rules," Miorelli said. "One would assume that it's easier for them to follow their rules but apparently not."

Miorelli said he presumed the Gator Party's Hume candidate, Mike Fetto, or a party supporter committed the violation.

Krantz said the commission did not put any blame on Fetto.

Fetto, who lost that seat to Progress Party candidate Ben Cavataro, was also fined ,5 at an Elections Commission hearing Sunday for putting up a sign that read "Vote Mike Fetto, Hume area senator, or don't vote at all," Krantz said.

The sign wasn't marked as a paid political ad, which violated elections rules.

Miorelli said he has five other complaints against the Gator Party for various infractions. Those will be heard Sunday or Monday, he said.

The Hume seat was an issue of contention Thursday.

Krantz said the Gator Party requested a recount of the Hume votes, but she denied the request.

The difference in votes would have needed to be within one-fourth to one-half of a percentage point to legally permit a recount.

The difference in votes was 7.4 percent.

Cavataro won by 20 votes.