Grading the Gators at the midway point-Defensive analysis

Grading the Gators at the midway point - defense edition

Defensive line: B

The one real newcomer to the line has been the best performer so far. With his 17-tackle performance against LSU on Saturday, sophomore Jermaine Cunningham established himself as a legitimate threat opposite Derrick Harvey. Harvey, tabbed as a preseason All-SEC pick, has a quiet five sacks so far, which ranks third in the league. The defensive tackle spot has been an eye sore at times but has picked up the intensity recently thanks to the play of Javier Estopinan.

Linebackers: B

After losing all three starters from a year ago, a trio of second-year players have taken the reigns and done a pretty good job. Brandon Spikes leads the team with 57 tackles, good enough for third in the SEC. His running mate, Dustin Doe, has made big plays, including a key fumble recovery for a touchdown against Tennessee. A.J. Jones has been asked to cover receivers frequently and has held his own.

Defensive backs: C

The starting strong safety was stripped of his captaincy. The starting free safety is now on the bench. Both corners are first-year starters who have been burned badly at times. It appears that the secondary is finally rounding into shape, but thus far it has certainly been a work in progress. Tony Joiner, the vocal leader of the defense, is working out extra after practice to make up for his impound lot incident last week. Major Wright has replaced Kyle Jackson at free safety. The impending return of Markihe Anderson at corner will take some pressure off Joe Haden and Wondy Pierre-Louis.