Veterinary college to host largest adopt-a-thon since 2002

The UF College of Veterinary Medicine will host an adopt-a-thon Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Julie Levy, a veterinarian from the college, said it is going to be their largest adopt-a-thon since the program started in 2002.

Several different groups are scheduled to bring more than 100 kittens, cats, puppies and dogs, according to a county press release.

Levy said that because students leave Gainesville for the summer, a majority of the animals at Saturday's adopt-a-thon have been sitting in shelters since the students left.

"We're so affected by the seasonality of the university," she said.

Because of crowding problems in shelters, the adopt-a-thon will be offering a few deals to encourage people to bring home man's best friend, Levy said.

Pets that have been sitting in shelters the longest and animals that have bonded with each other will be offered for reduced prices.

"The longer they have been in care, the lower the adoption fee is," she said.

Besides the discounted fees, all the animals eligible for adoption are spayed or neutered, vaccinated and tested for infectious diseases.

Rescue groups will be in attendance to offer many different dog breeds, including Chihuahuas and golden retrievers and cat breeds such as Siamese and Himalayans, according to the press release.

Levy said one of the main reasons the college is hosting an adopt-a-thon and offering discounts is the pet overpopulation in Alachua County.

Only half of pets in shelters end up getting adopted. The rest are euthanized, she said.

It's difficult to get students to adopt because they live in small apartments where it's hard to care for animals properly, but Levy said she is still optimistic.

"We're really hoping to get these animals placed in caring and loving homes," she said.