Two state leaders are bouncing around ideas to change the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program. Both plans would provide incentives for students studying technology and health-related fields.

Mark Rosenberg, chancellor of the Florida Board of Governors, the State University System's highest governing body, suggested reducing the merit-based awards and using the extra money to fund need-based aid and scholarships for students studying science, engineering, math, medicine and education.

State Sen. Jeremy Ring proposed a bill in January to base Bright Futures financial awards on students' majors. But Ring said he is now planning to amend his bill to make the changes less severe.

None of the changes are set in stone. Both plans must be approved by the Legislature. The Legislature's next regular session begins in March.

In Rosenberg's report, "Bright Futures: Change It to Save It," he called for freezing current Bright Futures funding at $400 million and using $100 million of that money for need-based financial aid.

Of the other $300 million, Rosenberg wrote that $100 million should be used to provide incentives to students studying science, technology, math, engineering, health and education.

The last $200 million would go toward merit-based scholarships under the current Bright Futures criteria. The award amount would be determined based on how many students are eligible for the scholarship. Rosenberg's ideas will be discussed at the board's next meeting Feb. 21.

Bill Edmonds, the board's spokesman, stressed that Rosenberg's ideas aren't detailed proposals, and Edmonds is unsure when a formal proposal will be brought to the board.

Regardless of how the board feels, any changes to Bright Futures would be up to the state Legislature, the body that controls the scholarship. Edmonds said the chancellor's plan would make it easier to raise tuition in the future and give financial aid to those who need it most.

Right now, tuition can't be raised without worrying about whether Bright Futures can fund the increase. If the chancellor's changes take effect, tuition increases might be easier to pass, he said.

Edmonds said the chancellor also hopes to make Bright Futures more useful by encouraging students to pursue degrees in the fields Florida needs most.

Ring said he agrees that Bright Futures needs to change to keep universities in line with the state's technology-driven economy.

Ring's first bill would have increased tuition coverage by 10 percent for students studying science, technology, math, education, engineering, nursing or pre-health, but it would have cut scholarships for students in other majors by 20 percent.

However, he said he is planning to change his bill, so that if passed, no awards would be reduced. About 35 students and parents told him his plan "devalued" some students, he said.

The bill's only intention was to fuel the state's economic growth, Ring said. Florida has "reached the ceiling" in its ability to fund growth from tourism, agriculture and real estate, he said.

"In order to move forward as a state, we've got to set up a whole new economic paradigm set up on research, technology and engineering," Ring said.

He said he didn't know how the increased tuition coverage for some students would be funded. The changes wouldn't be official until the bill goes through a committee hearing with the Legislature in a few weeks, he said.

Will Anderson, a UF English junior who wrote a letter to Ring asking him to reconsider his bill, said he would make sure the senator follows through.

Anderson created a Facebook group called "Protect Your Bright Futures," and he encouraged students to write letters to Florida senators to nix the bill. He received a response from Ring on Monday, but he said he didn't expect Ring to change his mind so quickly.

"I guess there was enough pressure," Anderson said.