New skate park hopes to attract pro skateboarders

Gainesville skaters have a new place to ollie, kickflip and railslide.

Skateboarders throughout central Florida are anticipating the opening of Gainesville Skate Park in the next few weeks, said Josh Newman, co-owner of the park.

"You have to travel at least two hours to find a decent skate park," said Newman, who owns the park with professional skater Phil Hajal. "And that isn't only people in Gainesville, but all the other surrounding towns."

The owners said they hope the skate park's location at 3500 NE Waldo Road will attract professional and amateur skateboarders because of its proximity to the Gainesville Regional Airport, much like the Skatepark of Tampa, which is currently the hot spot for skating enthusiasts in Florida.

Cory Ritter, 22, a local skateboarder who has been skating for about 10 years, said he is excited about having a skate park that is more advanced than the one at Westside Park, which is owned by the city, and UF's skate park, which is only open to students.

"There has been a huge skateboarding scene in Gainesville for a long time, but this is the first legit skate park," he said.

Shawn Bowlus, a UF student who has been skating for about eight years, said the only downside is that people have to pay to skate.

"I am stoked that there is somewhere to go, though," he said. "We don't really have a place."

The annual membership is $80 and will include half-price entry fees each day and 20 percent off at the Fluid Skate Shop. For nonmembers, entry is $7 Monday through Thursday and $10 Friday through Sunday.

Although Gainesville Skate Park is the first indoor park in Gainesville, there have been other short-lived locations before it. This park is on a much larger scale than previous ones, Newman said.

"This is not a city park thrown together," he said. "This was designed by skateboarders and built from the ideas of skateboarders."

The park is about 20,000 square feet and will include Fluid Skate Shop, an indoor street course plaza, a bowl, a vert ramp and a BMX course.

Newman said he hopes the park will be ready to open in two to three weeks.